[stylist] Writers' Division Members asked to contribute to a book! Gaming, again!

Robert Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Sun Feb 22 22:31:08 UTC 2015

Hi you all

RE: National Braille Press asks 2 current members, and 1 former to
contribute chapters for upcoming book on gaming

First, know that this is an outcome to our last monthly telephone gathering!
Recall, our special guest was Diane Croft, head of publishing for the
National Braille Press (NBP). During the call, which was not only
informational in respects to what NBP publishes, but it was a two way dialog
on how the NFB Writers Division can collaborate with NBP. And two great
happenings resulted from this short phone call (it can be listened to on our
Division's website):

#1 Diane realized that we could be a resource to NBP to find knowledgeable
and talented writers who can write on blindness related topics. (In the next
section below, I tell of what kinds of books NBP produce.) Additionally, she
realized that not all of us are interested in writing about blindness
related topics. And so on the call with us, she and we brain-stormed how NBP
and blind writers of all genre could better attract interested readers to
more easily find our books. She described how . maybe NBP could add an
element to the portion of their website where books are listed, described
and sold, a section which present books written by blind writers of all
genres. Because, in a large way, we share a similar population (writers &
readers. She will get back to us on this.

Another of the great collaborative avenues we traced out, and the one that
relates to this message, was helping NBP find additional writers and/or
books that fit NBP's publishing goals. That is, NBP publishes primarily in
three subject areas: #1 Technology (books like- guides for blind PC users to
learn more about new Window upgrades, or guides on using Apple products,
etc.). #2 Tactile Graphics, not about this topic, but to illustrate existing
books  ; example- "Good Night Moon," and a book about "Humpty Dumpty." #3
Self Help books; examples- on travel as a blind person, self-defense,
blindness and employment, etc.

During this topic, what they publish, Diane mentioned they were planning to
put out a book on gaming (how the blind engage in computer gaming on the PC
and/or Apple, etc.). And she mentioned she was looking for a few more blind
writers who knew about the subject. And yeah! We have members who are avid
gamers! And so she asked for them to contact her if they were interested;
and a few have, and they are now on the team to create this book. Below is
the email she sent out to me and our chosen members. Here I what she wrote:

Greetings from National Braille Press,

I am writing to you about a book we hope to publish, with your help, on
iPhone games. This would be a team effort.

We envision a one-volume book consisting of five chapters. Here is a rough
sketch of how we might structure the book, recognizing there will be overlap
and encouraging your thoughts when we speak via conference call.

Card games - Judy Dixon

Word games - Janet Ingber

*Role-play games - Nynaeve & Eduard Shtern (WD members)

*Adventure games - Atty Svendsen (Former member)

Board games - ?

The thought is, each of you would submit one chapter in your designated
area. Judy Dixon, who has written several books for us before, will be the
guest editor. She suggests we organize the information in a format similar
to what she used in her app book: Out and About. I can send each of you a
complimentary copy. (Please let me know if you want hardcopy braille, a BRF
file, or Word document.)

We would like to arrange a conference call to answer any questions you might
have, to discuss general layout, the submission process, and to agree on
deadlines. Look for a meeting email soon.

If for any reason you are no longer interested in participating in this book
idea, please let me know.

Welcome to the team,

Diane

Diane Croft

Publisher

National Braille Press

88 St. Stephen Street

Boston, MA  02115-4302

Phone: 617-266-6160 ext. 421

Respectfully yours,

Robert Leslie Newman

President, NFB Writers' division

characteristic that defines you or your future.

Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low
expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams.

You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.