[stylist] writers and depression

Chris Kuell ckuell at comcast.net
Thu Jan 22 23:05:55 UTC 2015

Hey Vejas,

Interesting question, and one I don't know the answer to. However, it is
fairly obvious that a lot of what I'll call 'creative' people suffer from
depression, or some form of mental illness. Sure, there are plenty of
writers and poets, but also artists (Vincent Van Gogh) and musicians (Kurt
Cobain could start a very long list). Going all the way back to Plato, he
talked about 'divine madness', a gift from the Gods which was a double sided
sword--creativity, and madness. As scientists are just beginning to get a
handle on the brain and how it works, I don't know if there is a real
connection or not, but there does seem to be plenty of empirical evidence.
Perhaps it has something to do with Serotonin levels?

Chris