[stylist] Poem - "The Relevance of Thunder" - Final Draft (Maybe)

William L Houts lukaeon at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 17:14:53 UTC 2015

Hello, Friends,

Here's my most recent poem.  It's been through the car wash many times,
and for the moment is as spanking new clean as it can be. Finally, its
rhymes work the way they should and I think it makes sense, at last, at
last:  I think so, anyway.  For the present, ha.

As for the painting to which I refer in the poem:  it's Francisco Goya's
painting, "saturn Devouring His Children".  In the painting, the Roman
god Saturn is shown with the torso of one of his children, a god,
depending from his mouth.  The expression of horror and misery in
Saturn's eyes is nightmarish, unforgettable.

--Bill

---

*The Relevance of Thunder

*

**

Hearing hells of thunder, like

our yellow sun's protest:kicking feet, gagged

with planets, and bound with the darkest dark matter,

kidnapped and shipped off for feeding

to that blackest of maws,the murderous drain star,

the galaxy's axis and ultimate end:

the massive mad throatat star spiral's core.

The notion brings ice to our short-designed spines,

and yet there's a thrill of myth in it:

the grief in Goya's grim father,

the Tartarus shock in his eyes: misaligned, mad

as he his own offspring consumes; reversing their birth,

O nature obscened in this wrath backwards dined.

Devour, devour:mouth who preys, mouth which takes in,

unconscious,thoselamps of space, a solar feast,

And so we greet the thunder's toll

one part of shudder, one of glee combined:

cosmic hole and horror's throne dismissed,

our hostage sun released.

--

"Oh, Sophie!  Whyfore have you eated all de cheeldren?"