[stylist] Poem - "Dickey" - Final Draft

William L Houts lukaeon at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 16:13:49 UTC 2015

Hello Friends,

Here's a little nothing I wrote in praise of Dickey, my cat.  It's a
very short piece, but I'm thinking of working up a poem cycle about my
strange little cat:  something, I hope, to sink one's teeth into.  In
the meantime, it's something a little charming, maybe, to read over
Saturday morning coffee.

--Bill

---

*Dickey*

Slender he comes with that curious yowl,

that cat-cry, that scolding which yodels me:

Attend now!No sleeping or wheeling

your dream cogs, your death-stunt which stalls me

aggrieved and aglowered, immune to my tongues!

Awakeful be, bagful of notions, of nuance

and news, and middling strange capers.

I'm gouging the door, see,and raging

with wind-claws,my tongue-fast demands are

supreme: I'm haunting, I'm hunting, I'm king!

--

"Oh, Sophie!  Whyfore have you eated all de cheeldren?"