[stylist] thoughts on rednecks

Applebutter Hill applebutterhill at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 01:20:35 UTC 2015

Chris,
Amen to this.
Donna

-----Original Message-----
From: stylist [mailto:stylist-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Chris Kuell
via stylist
Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 9:12 PM
To: 'Writers' Division Mailing List'
Cc: Chris Kuell
Subject: [stylist] thoughts on rednecks

I'm not real comfortable with the term 'redneck', especially as it is used
today. To most, I believe it means Southern white trash-people who are
conservative, bigoted, outspoken, gun nuts, and so on.

However, I believe the term derives from early in the 20th century,, and was
used, also derogatorily, as a term for Appalachian coal miners who pushed
for unionization. We all know from John Steinbeck how horrible migrant
workers were treated during the 1930s, and from Upton Sinclair how horrible
the meat workers were treated at the turn of the 20th century, but not
everyone knows about how horrible the coal mine owners treated their workers
back then-and still do today. (one exception-John Grisham's 'Gray Mountain')
It was and still is one of the most dangerous jobs around. Death by black
lung is almost guaranteed, and since the people of Appalachia are so poor,
and the coal companies own the government, conditions haven't improved much.

Anyway, back in the 1920's, coal miners would wear red bandanas around their
necks to signify they wanted unions. They were called, and called
themselves, rednecks, and were often killed for their 'agitation'.

So despite the current derogatory nature of the term redneck, it still holds
a  reverent spot in my heart. Especially when I think of all the people who
died trying to institute basic safety and medical coverage for the men who
slaved in those horrible mines years ago.

Chris