[stylist] book publishing questions

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 18:41:13 UTC 2015

Sarah,

Plenty of Stylist members have self-published, so I will leave them to
answer your questions. One thing to keep in mind, if hoping to bring in
funds, self-publishing is usually not a great way to see cash flow from your
novel. However, when self-publishing, you call the shots, and you ultimately
get published. When submitting manuscripts to publishers, it all depends on
if they like your novel enough to publish. Usually first-time writers do not
get agents before publishing. Typically, you submit queries to traditional
publishers, such as Penguin or Random House. There are pros and cons to
both, so I suggest you do a lot of research and find out what is best for
you.

Good luck.

Bridgit