[stylist] Poem - "Ageing" - First Draft

Jackie Williams jackieleepoet at cox.net
Wed Jun 17 01:32:11 UTC 2015

Bill,
I saved this poem because I love the words you use, the internal rhyme, and
the honesty of feelings one has throughout the aging process.
If you look at yours as depressing, you will think mine much worse. But I
have you by about forty years, and it is a realistic look at what happens.
The explanation of why I wrote this is at the end of the poem. It was an
assignment.

Not One of Us is Free From the Erasure

"Poetry. emotion recalled in tranquility."
Hogwash. Emotion recollected in rage, in grief,
in loneliness, in erasures, the frustration
of memories lost-the final content of our poetry.

Erasures of body parts that no longer work-
the hidden control of the bladder and bowels,
fingers no longer holding tight, knees no longer
lifting us, taste buds making everything taste bland.

Erasures put together-treasured moments-
a life in passing, hearing the details that cause laughter,
seeing the fine-tuned expression on a loved-one's face,
to hear that wail-the soul of the Blues, a throbbing boogie beat,

but not having the balance to dance and move to the beat.
No transportation to beloved activities-
concerts, jazz festivals, debates, ballets.
No end to shrinking telomeres, non-functioning synapses.

Erasures of attention-things you want to learn and know
turn to daydreams and drifting memories-
the poet's view of words, the fast-moving loss of them
steals names of persons, things and places.

If an erasure is erasing parts of myself to create
something new and original, then God is picking
through my after-life. Plagiarism is not far behind.
If this is a new form of poetry, it will not be mine.

Jacqueline Williams	April, 2015	24 lines

About This Poem

Our teacher used a handout from Writer's Digest by Robert Lee Brewer about
the poetic form named Erasure. You erase the parts of the poem that inspire
you and make a new poem of them. In researching this further, I found the
flip side of this is a "Blackout" poem. Here you leave the original piece of
work that you want and blackout the rest. You must observe the 50% rule and
name the source.
I used this form, instead, as an extended metaphor for what happens in old
age. While depressing, if you live long enough, it is the truth.
One could instead, use all of those erased parts and write a wonderful
Eulogy. In either case, it is not plagiarism.

Jackie Lee

Time is the school in which we learn.
Time is the fire in which we burn.
Delmore Schwartz