[stylist] Poem - "Beetle" - Final Draft

Jackie Williams jackieleepoet at cox.net
Wed Jun 17 02:06:26 UTC 2015

Bill,
I really like your poem about beetles, and your contrast between their
worlds and man's.
While I have some short poems on insects, this one on angle worms has won an
honorable mention, and is out again right now. It's set-up shows you how to
submit to a category. I think this one was to PMS. It took much research. I
have some poetry on bees also. I am always busy trying to save our earth.

8. Nature					Jacqueline Williams
						1431 W. 7th Pl.
						Mesa, AZ 85201
						480-834-1782
						jackieleepoet at cox.net
						Non-member PSM

My Name is Oligochaeta
A Wormologue

I was hatched in this environment
where I was intended to work,
so I have adapted well to the food.
I am a natural friend to you above the ground.
There is much I can do for you
if you will cultivate, develop, and domesticate me.

At times you have made my skin crawl.
I speak of the times when you have dug me up,
interrupted my mission in life-procreation.
Bisexual, I need my fifteen minutes of
moist closeness in the cool twilight or early dawn
to hold my bands together and make egg capsules.

How dare you desecrate a grave-to dig and paw
and scrape-solely for bait to trap a hungry fish.
My offspring make your fields and orchards prolific.
I compete with the bee as the most important
factor to your world and its future.
So, what are you going to do about me?

Squeeze me tight so my valuable serum emerges?
Put a sharp hook through a segment into my band-
my hearts? Ignore my system akin to a factory?
Its processes might one day give you medicines or oil.
You just like my persistent life, wriggling on that hook,
intriguing fish for hours after I am impaled.

I am food for your poultry, create robust birds
and better eggs for your palate. I increase production
in citrus groves, orchards of fruit, your landscaping,
fields of vegetables, and home gardens.
I leave no castings above ground to disfigure
your manicured golf greens, or contoured lawns.

							Stanza break

I am willing and eager to contribute my share.
All I ask is a little respect and kindness.
Here, in this grave, though headless, eyeless and toothless-
I burrow through the dirt and rot and breathe through my epidermis.
I leave you clean bones and aerated soil for better things.
I even have a good sex life as long as no light shines on me.

I know you want to fish. I mean you no deprivation-
but please-hold me gently, and do not scream if I ooze.

Jackie Lee

Time is the school in which we learn.
Time is the fire in which we burn.
Delmore Schwartz