[stylist] 28. Self-Publishing and Insecurity (Miss Thea)

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 20:57:15 UTC 2015

Estelle,

In order to produce and sell anything you write, you have to either submit
to a publishing house, or if you want a guarantee that you will be
published, you can go through a self-publishing site. Regardless, you will
need to purchase an ISBN in order to sell your material.

If submitting to a traditional publisher, you will need to send a query
letter and likely samples of what you hope to publish, if not the entire
manuscript. There are big publishing houses, like Random, and smaller,
independent presses, like St. Mark's. Submitting to a publisher does not
mean you will be published. It's very competitive, and despite all the poor
quality writing out there, not everything will be picked up by a publisher.

Self-publishing does allow you to be published because you are doing it, and
you will have full control over your material and promotion, which has its
pros and cons.

Stores and websites will not sell your material without an ISBN, which has
to be purchased.

As mentioned by others, it's in your best interest to seek an editor before
publishing, regardless of platform. Even experienced editors will have
another editor review their writing before submitting for publication.

While self-publishing guarantees you will be published, it's not very
lucrative. There's no guarantee that should a traditional publisher accept
your work that you will make a lot of money, but few self-published writers
make a living from self-publishing.

Bridgit