[stylist] disability journals

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 17:39:36 UTC 2016

Chris, thanks for sharing.

Bridgit

-----Original Message-----
From: stylist [mailto:stylist-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Chris Kuell
via stylist
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2016 1:08 PM
To: 'Writers' Division Mailing List' <stylist at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Chris Kuell <ckuell at comcast.net>
Subject: [stylist] disability journals

Greetings,

Last summer several literary journals with a focus on disability came
together to form the Disability Literature Consortium, or DLC. Our common
goal is to promote the writing of people with disabilities, and right now we
are hard at work at this year's AWP conference working to get the word out.

Toward this end, below is a brief description of the primary journals
involved with the DLC-although there are other journals where you can read
and submit work that sheds light, and shadows, on life as we know it. Enjoy.

Kaleidoscope

Now an online journal, Kaleidoscope was the first magazine to creatively
explore the experience of disability through the lens of literature and fine
arts. When Kaleidoscope began publishing in 1979, disability was generally
viewed and written about from a clinical, rehabilitative, or sociological
perspective. Kaleidoscope publishes personal essays, creative nonfiction,
fiction, poetry, and book reviews written by people who live with the
experience of disability and chronic illness as well as those who are
closely involved with and affected by these particular kinds of journeys (
i.e. parents, siblings, spouses, friends, educators, healthcare
professionals). We accept work from writers with and without disabilities,
but writers without disabilities must focus on some aspect of disability
experience. Our visual artists are all individuals with disabilities.  The
aims of Kaleidoscope include presenting effective, powerful writing and art
to our readers that challenges and overcomes stereotypical, patronizing, and
sentimental attitudes while educating and increasing awareness and
demonstrating that any disability or chronic illness is just one part of a
person's identity.  Kaleidoscope publishes twice a year, in January and July
at  <http://www.udsakron.org/kaleidoscope/issues.aspx>
http://www.udsakron.org/kaleidoscope/issues.aspx.

Breath and Shadow

In 2003, Sharon Wachsler was writing for abilitymaine, a socially
progressive activist organization in Maine. Each time she wrote about
various aspects of her/others disability, readers asked for more. So in
2004, Breath and Shadow was born. The idea was to start a journal of
literature and culture written and edited exclusively by people with
disabilities. And not just physical disabilities, but to feature writing by
children and adults; people with physical, mental, emotional, and sensory
disabilities; and new/emergent and established writers. We publish work by
people without extensive formal education and those whose cognitive or
emotional disabilities might spark nontraditional forms of expression. In
short, we embrace a "disability aesthetic" - work that may or may not be
about disability, but that is informed by the author's experience of
disability.   Breath and Shadow is a quarterly publication, with issues
coming out on Jan 15, April 15, July 15 and Oct 15.  The website is
<http://www.abilitymaine.org/breath> www.abilitymaine.org/breath, and the
email is  <mailto:breathandshadow at gmail.com> breathandshadow at gmail.com.

Pentimento

Through art, photography, essays, stories, and poetry, Pentimento  asks its
readers to see beyond disabilities and physical challenges. To see the ways
in which we are all connected, and find in our pages a sense of the what the
poet Emily Dickinson wrote: "I felt it shelter to speak to you." The
magazine cover features artwork by a child or young adult with a disability.
Each issue includes a section devoted to writing by readers on a particular
topic, fiction, nonfiction, photography, poetry, and art. Submissions may be
by a individual with a disability or an individual who is part of the
community such as a family member, therapist, educator, etc.  For more
information, visit  <http://www.pentimentomag.org/> www.pentimentomag.org.

Wordgathering

 Wordgathering is an online quarterly journal of disability poetry,
literature and art dedicated to providing a venue where the new work of
writers with disabilities can be found and to building up a core of work for
those interested in disability literature. While it gives preference to the
work of writers with disability, it seeks the well-crafted work of any
writer that makes a contribution to the field. It avoids "inspirational"
work, tales of overcoming and work that evokes pity or perpetuates
stereotypes. Wordgathering also reviews new books by writers with
disabilities and offers interviews with those working in the field of
disability literature and art.  The journal began in 2007 as an outgrowth of
the work of the Inglis House Poetry Workshop for writers with disabilities.
Wordgathering can be found at  <http://www.wordgathering.com>
www.wordgathering.com. Email submissions to
<mailto:submissions at wordgathering.com> submissions at wordgathering.com.

Intima

Intima: A Journal of Narrative Medicine is a literary journal dedicated to
promoting the theory and practice of Narrative Medicine, an
interdisciplinary field that enhances healthcare through the effective
communication and understanding between caregivers and patients. The word
intima itself has an anatomical reality: It is  the infinitesimally thin
layer lining a blood vessel, where the vehicle and its cargo meet, speeding
blood to the heart and brain, an apt analogy for narrative as we define it.
The name Intima has a specific resonance in the field: Narrative Medicine
defines itself as the intimate interface between two people, one as healer,
one as being healed, who both yield and gain from the experience of the
clinical ncounter. Intima was created in 2010 by a group of graduate
students in the Master of Science program in Narrative Medicine  at Columbia
University; currently, the editorial board is made up of doctors, nurses,
writers, editors and philosophers, half of them affiliated with the Columbia
program. The first issue of Intima was Fall 2011; two issues a year are
produced, along with a weekly blog, called Crossroads, essay contests, book
reviews and events with Bowery Poetry Center in New York City.  See Intima
at  <http://www.theintima.org/> http://www.theintima.org/.

All of the above journals participate in the Disabilities Literature
Consortium whose website is dislitconsortium.wordpress.com and email is
dislit666 at gmail.com.