[stylist] syntax question

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 02:38:13 UTC 2016

What we call Inversion is actually how people use to speak, like back in the
1500's, so to write this way in 1939, it was not an unheard of thing.
Especially in poetry. Often, inversion is used to affect meter, in this
case, that line would not work well without the inversion. There's nothing
"new" about inversion and is quite common in poetry. An entire piece of
writing doesn't' have to use inversion and can just use it sparingly, as in
the case of this poem. It's really not unusual at all.

Bridgit