[stylist] Writing Software

Bernadetta bernadetta_pracon at samobile.net
Thu Jun 16 02:21:28 UTC 2016

Bridgit and all,

Let me reiterate my message regarding Scrivener just to give you all a
bit more insight into where I'm coming from. (When I wrote my message
last night, I was falling asleep at my keyboard and fighting off a
nasty cold, so things were a bit foggy).

Anyway, I use Scrivener for very large files. I find it useful because
I never got into the habit of separating my work scene by scene or
chapter by chapter; it's just not something I thought to do, and I
always ended up with huge, tedious-to-manage files as a result.
Scrivener helps me with organization, and it allows me to have my notes
easily on-hand whenever I open my master draft. It's really a matter of
preference--there's no right or wrong way to manage our writing. I
actually like some of the ideas you've put forth, Bridgit, and I might
be tempted to test them out for myself back in Word.

System Access is a screen reader that performs very much like jaws. It
can be operated with almost all of the same keystrokes, and it is a
less clunky screen reader compared to Jaws. However, I have to say that
my laptop has three screen readers onboard: System Access, NVDA and
Jaws. I work primarily as a freelancer and I take on a wide variety of
projects, some of which are more compatible with one screen reader over
the other two. Simply put, I like to have each of these tools at my
disposal. Each of them has something to offer me at any given time.
Word still works best for me when writing shorter documents such as
articles, blog posts, press releases, etc. Scrivener is preferable for
screenwriting and putting together literary works, etc.

Sorry if this message is a little all over the place; I'm still getting
over this virus--whatever it is. (smile)

Best,

Bernadetta P