[stylist] Introducing Your Main Character When Writing In Second Person

Chris Kuell ckuell at comcast.net
Mon Jun 27 14:02:38 UTC 2016

Hi Vejas,

Bridgit is right in saying there are any number of ways to introduce the
character--so just jump into your story and do it. You can always edit and
revise it. But, having said that, most writing books and teachers discourage
people from writing in second person, as it is very, very difficult to do
well. 'Bright Lights, Big City', the book Bill recommended, is the only
novel I can think of that does it well--and it's a short novel.

Start by writing a scene or two and see how you like it. Is it working? Are
you feeling like you really are the protagonist? To me, that is what second
person is for--really putting the reader there.

Good luck.

Chris