[stylist] Poem: Blue Button

Bill Outman woutman at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 10 16:31:37 UTC 2016

Oh, my goodness, Jackie, and welcome back.

You have had quite a time with your computer.

The poem as I said was inspired by a friend, who is actually in the other
organization, who had a problem with a form with a blue button as I
described.  She wondered out loud where our advocates were on these issues.
Someone sighte might have told her the button was blue, even if the screen
reader couldn't find it.  It is possible in Jaws, thoug,h to read the colors
at a particular cursor location, but that wouldn't necessarily mean you were
sitting on a particular control.  This was also in the wake of the petition
that was put forward recently asking the Justice Department to promulgate
the promised web accessibility regulations.  I wonder what the final count
on that petition drive was.  I may have to call the national office and ask.

The part about feeling the colors refers to another potential means of
access that might, next to sight itself, be the holy grale of alternative
technology for us if it could be done practically and at reasonable cost.
That would be a full screen tactile display.  I know there have been some
experimental moves in that area but it hasn't come totally to fruition yet.

This is something I mentioned to a computer instructor I had at a
vocational/technical school about twenty years ago when I was having trouble
with an introductory course that was on a computer that I had to have
assistance with because some of it was in bit mapped graphics.  That meant
that even if something was in text it was a picture of dots rather than text
characters.  I said to him what the blind needed was a tactile display that
would render these pictures, having no earthly idea how we would or could
get there, or if I could be part of that process.

Such a display could in my imagination have different textures for color
contrast.  One might be able to locate an element and route the cursor to it
in order to perform the needed action.  Perhaps the view could be zoomed in
like with a magnification program, and text could be output as Braille if
desired, which could in turn be adjusted in size and height for easier
reading.

The combination of feeling blue and seeing red describes the simultaneous
feelings of depression and anger we sometimes feel with our technology,
which we have a love-hate relationship with sometimes.

Bill Outman