[stylist] Metaphor or simile

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Tue May 24 14:27:15 UTC 2016

A simile is a comparison using like or as.

The shadow is shaped like a cat.
The flower is as beautiful as you.

A metaphor is a figure of speech implying an equation to one thing to
another. Often, it's full of imagery.

The shadow leaped across the wall, reminding me of a cat.
The wind blew the petals of the flower, it's graceful dance in the breeze
was as breath-taking as gazing at your face.

Maybe not great examples, but the best I can do early in the morning, ha-ha!

Metaphors are a direct comparison, whereas similes tend to be indirect.

Metaphors and similes are great, if done correctly, to enhance one's
writing. It can help make language descriptive, pushing images into the mind
of readers.

You can say: The sun was hot. Or: The sun bore down on us like hot irons.

The night was scary. Or The inky blackness of the night sky left me
desolate, a large, dark hand forming a wall of fear around me.

Again, not literary genius here, but hopefully you get the idea.

Bridgit