[stylist] {Spam?} first chapter to share

Vejas alpineimagination at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 20:11:34 UTC 2016

I really like it, and I'm very, very intrigued by what happens next!  Sounds like some sort of accident happened, and I'm super curious now if she got the job!

> [...]
> employer she was blind, that she had a guide dog. She hoped if there was
> going to be a scene, they'd wait until the bus left.
>
> Ruby guided her around the stretching, smoking, grumbling passengers and a
> sprawl of packages being delivered. Fran spotted her bags immediately, which
> was why she had chosen that colour. She wasn't totally blind. She saw
> colours, objects and people, but she didn't see fine details. For example,
> she couldn't read or recognize faces. She could see well enough to get
> around in familiar places, but she relied on Ruby for safe travel in new
> areas. Besides, people were more helpful when you had a dog.
>
> She dragged the heavy bags over against the building where they'd be out of
> the way. They contained everything she'd need for a summer of cooking and
> camping. There was a tent, clothes, sleeping bag and camp cot, a weeks’
> worth of dog food, toys and grooming tools for Ruby. She also had her
> cooking gear: measuring cups and spoons, pre-made mixes and spices she
> preferred, and an assortment of talking devices, thermometer, measuring jug
> and scale.
>
> Fran Maclean was a cook, and a good one if she said so herself. She had
> spent years cooking for assorted outfits. She began cooking as a teenager,
> under the watchful eye of her father's sister. Hannah brought her out to
> camp one summer to get her out of her parents overprotective influence. She
> had been bored until Hannah suggested she help in the kitchen. Fran learned
> to cook by doing rather than going to school. She worked lumber camps,
> lodges, and construction camps, large and small. She worked by herself and
> with a staff of ten and she loved it. Hannah had mentioned that the
> University of Calgary's Palaeontology Department was looking for a cook for
> a dig in the Alberta Badlands and Fran had jumped at the opportunity. She
> didn't know anything about dinosaurs, but she knew how to cook and that was
> what counted.
>
> The Passengers climb back aboard, the engine roared, and the bus pulled
> away. She was alone. She had confirmed with Dr. Ross that someone would be
> at the bus station to pick her up. So, where were they?
>
> She hadn't told Dr. Ross she was blind, because she was certain she wouldn't
> have gotten the job. She didn't need the job, most of her previous employers
> would be glad to have her back, but she liked to work new places. She
> switched jobs every summer for the new scenery and the new people. When her
> new employer learned she was blind, sometimes things became awkward.
> Generally she enjoyed the discussion which followed. Now, standing here,
> breathing old diesel fumes and dust, she wasn't so sure.
>
> There were only two long distance buses in here a day, one at six in the
> morning, and the other, ten at night. The later bus was lousy for her prior
> connection, so here she was. She shrugged out of her backpack and pulled out
mail. She reread the note from Dr. Ross
> confirming her day and time of arrival. She didn't start work officially
> until Sunday, but she always liked to arrive several days early to get
> familiar with the area. She liked time to set up her tent and relax before
> starting into a summers’worth of work. She was here, where were they?
>
> She heard a door open, and turned to see a figure approaching. Ruby stood,
> her tail beating a tattoo on the metal down spout.
>
> "You waiting for someone?" a man asked. He was close enough now that Fran
> could see he was tall, wearing what might be jeans and a checked shirt.
>
> "Yes. I was supposed to be picked up. I'm going out to the dinosaur camp."
>
> "Ummm," he grunted. "They know you're comin'?"
>
> "Yes." 'Of course they knew she was coming.'
>
> "Maybe they slept in," he said.
>
> "Maybe."
>
> "You want a cup of coffee?"
>
> Fran smiled. "I'd just about kill for a cup of coffee. I don't want to leave
> my stuff . . . "
>
> "I'll bring you one. What do you take?"
>
> "Just cream. Thanks." She fumbled in her pocket for change but he was
> already gone.
>
> Fran ruffled Ruby's ears. "I'll kill them," she muttered. "I'll put pepper
> in the coffee, or salt in the sugar dispensers." But maybe they had a flat,
> or like the man said, slept in. They'd better have a good excuse.
>
> She took the mug and sipped the steaming liquid. "This is wonderful," she
> said. It was amazing what coffee could do for you. "What do I owe you?"
>
> "Don't worry about it."
>
> "Okay, thanks. But, if you should happen to come out to the dig, I'll treat
> you to the best cinnamon buns you ever had."
>
> He laughed. "You workin' out there?"
>
> "Supposed to be. If my ride ever shows up. I'm the cook. They hired me for
> the season."
>
> "You cook?" she knew what he was really asking. 'You're blind and you cook?'
>
> "I do. I'm a pretty good one too."
>
> "Hmmm," he said. She heard the phone ring inside the station. "Got to get
> back to work. Hope they show soon." And with that he was gone.
>
> She drank her coffee, savouring every drop. When she was done, she wished
> she had a tongue like Ruby so she could get that last drop which refused to
> roll into her mouth. Finally, she set the cup on the window ledge beside
> her. Across from her, was a bit of green space. She'd take Ruby over there
> to do her business.  Her bags would be safe enough.
>
> Seven o'clock and they still hadn't come. Surely they'd have called the
> station to say they'd be late? Dr. Ross had told her they didn't have cell
> service, but they did have a satellite phone. She used the Voice Over
> feature on her iPhone to find the contact information for Dr. Ross. She sent
> him an e
mail reminding him that she had arrived and needed to be collected.
> [...]
> forget anyone as important as the cook? But why not, they'd been cooking for
> themselves since they opened. She wondered if there was a pay phone in the
> station.
>
> She dragged her bags inside, then went back for the cup. The station was a
> large, open, dimly lit room to her. She could see a few benches and hear the
> muted buzz and rattle of a pop machine from the shadows.
>
> "No one come yet?" he asked from the far corner.
>
> "No. Not so far. Where's your washroom? And what do I do with this cup?"
>
> "First door on your left. I'll take the cup."
>
> The first door on her left proved to be small and less squalid than she
> expected. It smelled chemical, strong enough to make Ruby sneeze. God it was
> good to use a regular toilet again. She washed her hands and face then
> brushed her teeth. She brushed her hair and changed her T-shirt to something
> which didn't have food stains on it. Eating on the bus was a challenge. She
> fed and watered Ruby then washed the bowl and stashed it in her pack.
>
> "Is there a pay phone I can use to call out there?" she asked the far
> corner, not certain if he was still in the building.
>
> "Only pay phone's across the street at the restaurant. You can use my phone
> if you like. Do you have the number?" Fran read it for him and he dialled,
> then handed her the receiver. She listened as it rang five, ten, fifteen
> times before she hung up. Where were they? Could they be out at the dig
> already? What was she going to do all day if they didn't show up?
>
> She sat on one of the slatted wooden benches. Ruby stretched out at her
> feet. Fran waited and fumed. The station master rustled papers, made calls,
> telling customers their packages had arrived. She wished someone would tell
> Ross his package had arrived. She heard keys rattle and things being locked
> up. The station master came over to speak with her.
>
> "I'm afraid you're going to have to wait on the platform," he said. "I'm
> closing up. Place don't open again till six."
>
> "Oh hell," she muttered. "I'll kill them!"
>
> "No doubt," he agreed. "I've got to get off to my day job. Want me to see if
> I can find someone to take you out that way?"
>
> "That would be great,” Fran said. “Thank you for all your help."
>
> "Have you got water?" She shook her head. "Better buy yourself a couple
> bottles. It gets pretty hot here." He pointed to the machine but she
> couldn't tell what was water. She gave him five dollars and he handed her
> four large bottles of water.
>
> "Do I need that much?"
>
> "Probably not. Your ride will likely be here soon, but you never know."
>
> She hauled her bags out to the shady side of the platform. It was already
> warming up. She and Ruby settled down to wait.
>
> Eight o'clock and the little town came alive. Cars moved lazily down the
> street, people talked and laughed and the heat climbed. Fran was glad to be
> in the shade. She played a couple dozen games of King's Corner on her
mail, nothing from Dr. Ross, damn it!