[stylist] {Spam?} Research

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Tue Oct 11 13:49:16 UTC 2016

I just Googled "hymns sung before 1941 in London" and got:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role_of_music_in_World_War_II
that one will be pretty general, but should be a good overview

next up: http://sourcebooks.fordham.edu/mod/ww2-music-uk.asp
I used the JAWS hotkey "N" to go to the beginning of the text since there
weren't headings.  That takes you directly to the beginning of the article.
I read the first bit.  It looks like a good listing of popular wartime music
at the time.

My general Google strategy is to type in specifically what I'm looking for.
For example something like: "how to repot aloe vera plants" not just
"repotting plants" or "aloe vera".  The second two will get you general info
and won't be what you want.  You'll wade through a lot of junk before
getting to answers. If I notice in the first few search results that most
people use a different word to describe the same thing, I might do another
search using that term.  In my aloe example it might be succulents instead
of aloe vera or just aloe.

Usually if you use the JAWS hotkey "H" or the number 1, that will take you
to the first headingg.  Often that is the beginning of the main article.
Sometimes you have to go down a couple of headings, just press "H" and then
the down arrow to check for the text.  A lot of articles begin with sharing
links and then the text.  So if you down arrow and find those sharing links
keep arrowing down, the text is likely to follow.

In the listing of search results is usually a part of a sentence, which is
the beginning of the text on the linked page.  That text is a good indicator
of the information to expect.  If there is no text or it's some sort of
code, I skip it.  In my experience those are the heavily graphics based
pages or pages with a load of ads that will load slowly.

If you are doing academic research, where you need to cite sources, I stick
to sites that end with .edu or .gov or a specific country designation.  I
will use a Wicky page to get an overview for myself or to find helpful
search terms, but Wicky isn't much more reliable than asking your next door
neighbor.

I'm happy to help folks with research.    I really enjoy it.

Julie
New lowered price on my book:
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC