[stylist] fan fiction was What are you Reading Right Now?

Sherry Gomes sherriola at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 09:48:16 UTC 2016

Actually, I'm a big proponent of fan fiction, and many authors approve it.
the reputable sites that publish it don't allow stories if the authors don't
approve it. There's a lot of bad fan fiction out there, but there's also a
lot of incredibly well written fan fiction. There's fan fiction in every
possible genre, books, TV and movies. Some people write it because they
loved the original source material so much that they just want to tell
stories in that world. Some people write it to explore other directions the
stories could have gone, to write alternate universe stories and change
things they didn't like in the original material.

I discovered fan fiction back during the time the Harry Potter books were
being written. There was a three-year gap between books four and five, and
I, desperate for Harry Potter something, found fan fiction, and I've been
hooked on it forever. But fan fiction goes back much farther. You know how
there are so many star trek novels? Those are a type of fan fiction, but
with the permission of Roddenberry and then Paramount, they became
published. People wrote stories about Sherlock Homes during Conan Doyle's
lifetime, more fan fiction, and by all accounts he loved it.

Sometimes, people write fan fiction to sharpen their writing skills and to
get an idea of how people, total strangers from all over the world, might
receive their words. Some authors I've followed, fic authors that is, have
gone on to publish their own original work, not fan fiction, but writing
fics gave them the confidence to try to get published. Some authors' their
writing skills have improved so much from the first poorly written, bad
grammar and spelling fic, till the new material, or their original work are
unrecognizable because they've improved so much. Some people just want to
write stories but don't want to be published. And yes, most definitely,
there are some books that were originally fan fiction, and some of those
should never have been published, or should, at least, have had the benefit
of a good editor. Not all fan fiction is great, but much of it is.

Genres I've read in fan fiction range from Harry Potter, to Star trek, to
Lord of the rings, Twilight, Song of Ice and Fire, West wing and others. I
read HP fics where Sirius Black doesn't die; I read SOIF where Ned isn't
murdered; I read West wing because I think it was the most intelligent thing
ever written for television, and I'm always wishing it hadn't ended, as I
didn't discover it till well after the show was off the air. Grin.

So, to me, as long as the author of  the original material does not
disapprove, I think fan fiction is an excellent way for people to hone their
skills as a writer, an excellent source for people to find stories based on
something they loved that has ended, or just a way to write or read some
great stories. There's a book on bookshare that discusses the fanfiction
phenomenon. I believe it's called Fic. Check it out.

On a personal note, I think I wrote fan fiction when I was a kid. I remember
writing a Partridge Family story, back on my Perkins Brailer, maybe about
100 pages long in Braille. Grin. And I have written a few fics in the last
five years. But generally, I don't want to write it, because I have my own
work to focus on. But posting fan fiction gave me a chance to explore and
develop my own writing, and to get opinions from total strangers, people who
don't know and love me, so always praise anything I write. Grin.