[stylist] {Spam?} What are you Reading Right Now?

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 15:46:35 UTC 2016

Tessa,

I personally love Oryx and Crake, along with the other books in the series.
Atwood can delve into the narration a bit, but she creates great characters,
and I like that her plots have a point, but it doesn't feel like she's
pushing an agenda. And over-all, I feel the Oryx and Crake books are great
stories.

Bacigalupi is fantastic. Wind-up Girl is amazing. Start there. The Water
Knife is another favorite of mine by him. My husband and I both love his
books. There sort of dystopian, urban SciFi, and even though they have a
point, they are very character-driven novels.

I don't classify myself as a huge dystopian fic fan, but I will read
anything good. I don't necessarily stick with one genre over another. I
pretty much read everything.

I just finished Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children and loved it.
It's a great story with some interesting characters. Tim Burton just made a
movie about it, so I want to watch it now and see how it squares up to the
book.

I just started Me Without You, the sequel to Me Before You. So far, not as
good as the first, but I'm enjoying it. Both books deal with difficult
subject matter and are probably classified as literary fiction and
disability fiction. Very thought-provoking books, in my opinion. They have
received contraversy, and while I don't agree with the actions of many of
the characters, I don't feel the author is making a comment on disability in
general, but simply telling the story of a single individual. It's about one
person's choices and not representing all disabled people's opinions and
convictions.

After this, I have several creative nonfiction books.

Bridgit