[stylist] Swearing, difficult to discuss topics, Does Anyone Write Daily as a Routine No Matter What's Going On?

debby semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 17:12:03 UTC 2016

Many of you are younger than me, so you can probably -t more ably. I think younger people are more open about things than us older fobks. But I'm a little conflicted about that. For instance, I don't share my sexual orientation, and I frankly don't want to know others'. For one reason I have lost friends because of this. I had a very good friend, both of us Christians. She told me that she was now a lesbian. I was pretty shocked, but would not have said anything about that, except that she asked for my opinion. Good grief! If she had not asked me her opinion I would have said, Oh, ekay. And left it at that. But if you ask me what I think about something, I'm going to tell you.  Of course, she didn't like my opinion. I'm not sure what she expected. I have friends with lots of differing views about things. Some of us can discuss things and still be friends, others I know just to leave it alone. They couldn't handle my opinion, and perhaps I couldn't handle theirs. I agree that there need to be safe places where people can discuss what they want or need to, but at the same time, there also need to be safe places where people can share the opposite point of view, oh not discuss some subjects at all. The thing I love about our country is this: I may not agree with your opinion, but I will defend to the death your right to express it. However, I hope that if I respectfully ask that a discussion not take place in my presence because I find it offensive, that I have that right as well. I'bl give you an example. A few weeks ago at work, I was working with a particular guy who is very blunt in his speech and uses the f word quite liberY in his speech. I have probably gosten more used to that word, so that wasn't what offended me. He started singing a song that was very sexually descriptive. Call me Puritanical if you want, but I just don't want to hear or talk about that with just anybody. So I very respectfully asked him to stop. He started to get angry, but I said that I was being respectful, and would reY prefer not to hear that kind of song. He stopped, but then said that he supposed I'd be taking him to HR. I said that wasn't my style either. I had asked him to stop, and hoped that he would honor my feelings. He did. And I did not go to H.R. And believe it or not, we have .have some great conversations about lots of things, just not explicit descriptions of sex. LOL. Sorry for rambling.    Debby