[stylist] Showing versus telling

Joanne Alongi salongi712 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 29 01:36:10 UTC 2016

And a note on advice. I have noticed a few things that I'd like to point out. The first thing is I'd like to give you a challenge. Have any of you read lately any of the great American or English literature authors? trollop Charles Dickens, James Fenimore Cooper, and the gentleman who wrote Moby Dick Herman Millville. These are specific others that I can site. My challenge is take any one of these authors works and compare the number of telling scenes with the number of showings sings I believe you will find the great preponderance of them will be telling scenes. American, English, world literature professor is all call these classics. There is a great value in both scenes. There is a great value in both types of writing. I would like to encourage you that in order to understand how to write a truly great work you must have both types of scenes because we always need backstory. I just wonder how many of you including myself have read these works because you will find a great number of telling scenes as opposed to showing.
Now the second thing I want to point out is that I have noticed that the people who offer of the greatest amount of advice on this list do not have anything published that I have seen. I have noticed that those who withhold their advice from this group are the ones who are published. Now, I could be wrong I don't know everything but I have noticed that. Perhaps we should all work on publishing something and dispensing with less advice. Just a note from the peanut gallery. Now this is a list and we are all talking about writing so I understand that but I do notice that more lies comes from people that I have not seen any published works for him not even in our newsletter. So, I will not respond to any comments so if you wish to take this topic and run with it enjoy yourself. I do think that the more valuable comments here are about the showing in versus telling at least on my part. OK. I have to finish my second draft and get ready for my book signing and read more American and English literature. I have been reading Charles dickens a tale of two cities and believe me there is a lot of telling scenes in that book. Good luck keep writing,

Shelley, Queen of bells out!
Trespasser by Shelley Alongi (Hardcover) - Lulu
Trespasser by Shelley Alongi (Hardcover) - Lulu
]]

]]]]