[stylist] Story, "Help is On the Way"

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 00:39:33 UTC 2016

My husband worked a summer at the Kansas center, when they had one, and I
spent a week there. Students were advised to leave canes at the door of the
cafeteria and use assistance either from sighted staff or partially sighted
students. Staff referred to totally blind students, in front of them, as the
"unfortunate ones." They would say things like, "Wait for the unfortunate
ones to catch up," or, "Don't exclude the unfortunate ones." While there, I
was referred to with this description, and my opinion was made clear about
it. Students, especially totally blind ones, were not allowed to leave the
facility without sighted people, and during travel lessons, they could not
venture out on routes they had not first traveled with a sighted person
several times with. Students who had been at the center for months did not
know their way around the facility itself, which was not huge, because this
was not a skill thought necessary because sighted and partially sighted
people were there to help. Staff were shocked when my husband had students,
especially totally blind students, cooking on their own and cleaning up
after themselves. Their training kitchen, by the way, was filthy. That was
one of the first projects my husband tackled with students when there. They
were equally shocked when he had them travel around town without sighted
assistance on routes they had not been on before. Many staff wanted him
fired.

You can imagine what they thought of me, a totally blind person, being
there, doing things their students could not do, and things they thought
unsafe for blind people.

So yeah, while some of Vejas's story is a bit exaggerated, unfortunately,
it's not far off the mark for some training centers. When Ross, my husband,
visited chicago's center, it was similar. And many of the school's for the
blind operate under similar philosophies.

Bridgit