[stylist] A first for mew: Your poem in the NFSPS Encore anthology

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 14:20:21 UTC 2016

Jackie,

My mentor last semester initially seemed great, and I thought we would work well together, but we ended up butting heads a lot. She often pushed me in a direction I didn't want to go. As a person, I love her and am now good friends with, but as a mentor, I was often frustrated with her.

My mentor this semester has been much more compatible with me. I like her process better, and she's encouraging and provides feedback without making me feel like I'm being coerced or thrown in a direction I don't want to go.

Though I will say, the mentors are meant to challenge us and strengthen us. One of the reasons we have a new mentor each semester is to work with someone who might have a different style or method than us, so we can learn different perspectives.

And I will say, working with different mentors gives us a taste of the editing and publishing world. In that world, you will meet people who love your writing and think it great, while others don't. Some editors will be fussier than others. You have a lot of perspectives in this world, so learning how to work with various people and their personalities and styles is a great lesson.

Bridgit