[stylist] Poem: "Coffee Mug"

William L Houts lukaeon at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 19:50:27 UTC 2016

Hi Listers,

Here's the first poem I wrote in what I think of as my current phase,
which started about a year and a half to two years ago. I think it's
fairly straightforward, and I'm writing more straightforward poems these
days than I was doing a couple of years ago, but I still put out solid
bricks from time to time, ha.

Anyway, the poem begins under the three dashes following my name. Cheers!

--Bill

---

copyright 2016 William L. Houts

Coffee Mug

United States of America

All Rights Reserved

NO clever crone nor craftsman

by wisest hands shaped and fired this mug;

I bought it at Walmart,unromantic; crass by some

accountss.And yet it pleases:

two shades of blue, a cup of sky and sea,

handle curved and slimas a letter

in elegant Greek. I seek, I guess,

the grail encoded in common things

And there's an artsy I can't abide:

things with faces, grinning or sly,

grandma perky and full of mirth.

I want the romance of handle and hand,

of table and base:embraced

in gravity's arms: a waterfall's wisdom,

the glory of snow dancing down,

the astronauts taste for heavily holy earth

the reverse of transcendence, oversold

and nature's patient round.

"It's clever, but does it answer the Sphinx?"