[stylist] Red December

llambert at zoominternet.net llambert at zoominternet.net
Sun Dec 3 02:06:12 UTC 2017

Hi Writing Friends at NFB,

I am announcing that my poem, "Red December," was selected for publication
in an international anthology.

I Won  A PLACE

IN THE PROVERSE POETRY PRIZE ANTHOLOGY 2017

("Mingled Voices 2")

This is a Hong Kong (China) publication and I was waiting for this good
news. I just had a "feeling" my work would be included.

I REALLY wanted this! I think I might just celebrate with a nice hot cup of
Red Rose Tea tonight.

Here is my winning poem:

Red December

New-fallen snow glimmers in pre-dawn darkness

slender red barberries dangle from thin bare branches

I shuffle my feet, dig in to feel solid ground

near the place where my Father's red roses

are surrounded by pillows of snow

slumbering safe in dark red December.

My heavy suede boots part the snow

It's too early for the red cardinals

"Where do they go at night?"

A sharp wind makes me huddle deeper into my bright

red boucle' jacket

while my two dogs search random trails

follow the long marks, meander downhill.

On a crisp day in mid-December

I desire red raspberry jam on warm toast

Linger by the tall pampas grass

weighted down to the ground with icy snow

I think of strawberry Sundays with whipped cream

I recall wearing Neiman Marcus Red lipstick and

dancing all night in

hot red stilettos and tight blue jeans.

We turn around - for the return home

the dogs circle in the frozen pachysandra patches

stiff, brown-green  shrunken leaves.

In memories I see my neighbor walking to her car

she wears a cranberry red hat, worsted red wool coat, flat, scarlet red
shoes

carries a true-red leather handbag like the one I bought last Sunday.

I watched her from the upstairs window.

In her 80s, she revealed how to live a gallant life.

No cars pass us on the country road  this morning in red December

Where it is perpetual winter.

Lynda McKinney Lambert

www.lyndalambert.com