[stylist] Happy New Year to all

Lynda Lambert llambert at zoominternet.net
Tue Jan 3 00:40:33 UTC 2017

Jackie, I am deeply touched by your comment.
I love helping other people in any way I can - but you have always been one
of my most treasured friends in writing. You have the ability to explicate a
poem like no other person I know.

As part of my tenure project at the college, I wrote a book titled, "The
Power of Memory." This was the written piece of the 2 part project. The
other half of the piece was a collaboration I did with a Prof. Ben Frank
Moss, Dartmouth  University - we curated an exhibition that traveled across
the US for 3 years. Each work for that exhibition had as a focus the notion
of "memory."  When I sent out an essay from my book to my fellow profs. one
wrote me a note to say that my work was so much like Annie Dillard.  At that
time, I had never read anything by her. Of course, this made me curious, and
I have now read many of her pieces and some of them numerous times.
Certainly, I can see the power of memory in my own work and hers as well. I
saw why he had made the comparison between us. Memory has always been at my
core in my writing and my art making.

Here is an excerpt from an exhibition catalogue which describes what  Ben
Frank Moss does in his art. I think you can easily translate these ideas
into our writing life. I would echo these ideas in my own creative life.
***

Quote:
Hood Quarterly, autumn 2008
Joshua Chuang (Class of 1998), Assistant Curator of Photographs, Yale
University Art Gallery
The following is an excerpt from Joshua Chuang’s introductory essay to the
forthcoming exhibition catalogue Immanence and Revelation: The Art of Ben
Frank Moss, titled “Call and Response: The Life and Work of Ben Frank Moss.”
To behold the work of Ben Frank Moss is to encounter a fiercely personal
approach to the visual life—one taken up in response to the call of private
revelation rather than for popular acclaim. For this reason, the paintings,
drawings, prints, and collages Moss has steadfastly produced during his
career as an artist cannot be traced conveniently within the general
narrative of art history over the past forty years. His distinctive efforts
to find form for the ineffable are not hidebound by any particular school or
ideology; they are rooted instead in a more fundamental pursuit shared by a
long and diverse genealogy of artists, poets, and composers: “a longing to
be held, captivated by a spiritual force— something unseen but sensed.”(1)
Robert Henri once remarked that “for an artist to be interesting to us, he
must be interesting to himself,” a notion to which Moss has duly
subscribed.(2) Although he engages in the vocabulary of abstraction, his
compositions originate in specific memory and concrete experience. Moss is
fond of relating anecdotes from a life keenly observed, citing them as
evidence that enduring truths can come from the most unexpected sources. One
such story involves his wife Jean’s first-time encounter with a precocious
seven-year-old neighbor who proceeded to introduce herself unprompted and
show a rock she had been using to chip away at another rock. Curious, Jean
inquired if she planned to shape the rock into an arrowhead, to which the
young girl replied: “No, I let the rocks decide what they should be.”
The story seems an apt metaphor for the way Moss has carried out his own
life and work. At the core of his evolving practice lies a fervent regard
for the mystery of creation. He is careful not to rely too heavily on his
obvious facility for drawing, opting to approach each blank surface without
preconception and with the anticipation of unexpected adventure. To this end
he has produced compositions that lay bare the process of their making.
Scrutiny of their richly textured surfaces may reveal evidence of entire
areas erased or scraped away and then reworked, but seldom does a finished
piece feel belabored. For Moss, artmaking is an endeavor that requires the
courage to hold still enough to reflect on life’s vicissitudes and the
willingness to work on the edge of failure. Because of this, whether endowed
with the deep, lush tones of charcoal or the luminous hues and sensuous
texture of oil paint, his art carries the layered history of a palimpsest
and the distilled intensity of personal revelation. His most successful
pieces exhibit the startling immediacy of a “held dream . . . a poetic
gateway to an inner experience.”(3) (End Quote)

Thank you, Jackie,
from Lynda Lambert