[stylist] Naming characters

Tessa puppycat at tbaytel.net
Tue Jan 3 19:47:08 UTC 2017

Thanks, yes that's about the way I do it, names come and they're usually appropriate, but I tend to spend a lot of quality time in my head with my characters before they get on the computer.
Kenyan apparently spends time and research on character names but she also has quotes in her book from writer's who don't.
I often pick up names from books, or from just listening to stuff locally, we have a large Finnish population so we get names like Toivo and Helgi, male and Aija saija and kaija female the j is pronounced like a y. Of course parents are also being very creative and inventing names I remember reading something that said the name Wendy hadn't been used before until jm barrie used it in peter pan.
I've read where an author will go through the phone book picking out appropriate names or name ideas, not necessarily practical for us but now many of the baby naming books are being made available in alternate formats.
Oddly enough one of my characters is named Martin, he's an assassin among other things, Martin is not a name I would have considered for that particular life style, but it's stuck for some reason and it works.
Names are definitely interesting.
Tessa