[stylist] Marketing Article, Angela Hoy, Writers Weekly

Lynda Lambert llambert at zoominternet.net
Fri Jul 28 15:45:53 UTC 2017

Writing friends;
I sure understand your worries about how you will market your book or your
work after you have completed it. We all have such feelings and they are for
real.

Here's another  perspective to think about marketing. It was a step of
faith, or even a leap of faith, that brought you to this point. I used to
write a poem or essay, and then would think "Who would want to read this?"
And, when I started writing my 2nd book at the beginning of 2016, I had dark
urges from inside of me that said, "Who in this world would want to read a
book that you are writing?" These negative questions would literally shout
to me to stop this nonsense.
I think we all have to face such negative inner voices in order to create
our work. But, we have to recognize them when they come to us, and we have
to decide to go on with our plan to write, and trust that we will have
everything we need, at the time when it is right.
This is the key - to recognize our inner thoughts - and change them!  Don't
let them defeat you. You DO have something to give to the world that only
you can give. It is a gift that you have and you will have your own unique
opportunities. Don't worry that you don’t' have a certain type of job - it
is not the job that anyone has that will make them successful - it is their
inner drive and belief in their own creativity that will allow them to bring
for a gift for other in the form of your writing or a book.

Here are a few of my thoughts on marketing:

Every time a review of your book appears, that is another way of marketing.
When you get your book added to notable sites your information on the book
is there for readers to discover.
Usually they put a photo of your book cover, and a short bio of your and a
review of the book, along with where to purchase the book.

Another way is when your book gets reviews by another writer or editor. Most
literary magazines have people who do reviews for that magazine. You want to
get as many reviews as possible coming out - to get your book noticed by
people who read and buy books.
Often the reviews come as a surprise to you, the author. It is a pleasant
surprise. I looked at my book on amazon last week and notice that it had a
review. I clicked on to that page, and found a review - it's exciting when
this happens. In a different  case,  a blogger did a review on the book but
asked me in advance for a photograph and a piece of writing (I chose a poem)
and sent it to her. It turned out to be a beautiful review plus the extra
pieces this blogger put with the article.

Another author who is involved in poetry and publishing, did a review that
was a surprise to me. It is a thoughtful and poignant review and explication
of my work.  She looked deep into my text and pulled out some gems  to bring
to light. I am grateful for all of these folks who step out and do these
reviews and blog recognitions.

Another important activity we can do is to constantly be putting out our
work to editors and publications.  If you don’t' remember anything else I am
writing in this note, please remember this:  The Editor is your FRIEND. Once
you are putting your work out there, you will find editors who love your
work and they want to publish it. It just happens, in time, if you are doing
the work of putting it out to them.

I just had a rejection of 2 of my poems - the editor sent me a not to say
they like the poems but my theme did not fit with what they need.
Immediately, I sent  her a "thank you," for the consideration of the poems,
and for the not to let me know their thoughts. Not only did she give me
better insight in to the needs for her magazine, she gave me a better
insight into my own work at the same time. This is a fresh new look at my
poems, and it will help me in the future to know more about my own work.
Don't be afraid of rejections - we need them!  Always, always, always
remember to say "thank you," to the very people who are helping you see
better. We need them.

When you find editors who "get" your work, they will promote it and honor
you with publication  opportunities. Often, these editors will be working
behind the scenes on your behalf.
It's not about what you do for a living, as in your example of a teacher;
it's about what you give to others along the way. I view putting my work
before committees and editors as offering to give them the gift  of material
for their magazine or book.  For really, you are giving them a gift - you
are offering your work to them and they need many writers who participate in
the magazine by offering their work. It takes you a lot of time to put
together submissions - I might spend a coupe or three days working on just
one entry. I want to offer them the best I have based on what I know they
need. We can know exactly what they want and need, by carefully reading the
guidelines for submissions and doing the homework of actually reading
through some issues of their publications.

Because I come from the fine arts world, I don't have hang-ups with  self
promotion. We all know that if you don't toot your own horn, nobody else
will toot it for you. It's not bragging, it's believing in what you have to
say. Ask, instead, "What do I have to offer?" It's about sharing your
thoughts with your audience. Every time I stand in an arg art gallery
surrounded by my work, I am beaming with pride for I know I am brining
delight, joy and inspiration to every visitor who comes to see my show. What
can you  say about the work you are doing? Learn to say it clearly  so your
audience understands it.

Art exhibitions consist of work by artists who constantly put out their work
before discriminating judges and audiences. We learn early in our career
that rejection is a vital part of our life - it propels us forward to work
harder and develop a thick skin. Criticism not only helps us to develop
better skills, it propels us to reach higher for goals that seem beyond our
abilities.
I think the most important activity we can do as writers is to learn to
speak clearly about our work. If we don't believe in it enough to discuss it
with a positive attitude and a clear focus, how can we expect anyone else to
do that for us?

Write on, and continue to grow.
Lynda