[stylist] The Shortest Short Story

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 19:06:32 UTC 2017

So Hemingway believed in leaving a lot unsaid in his writing. There's a
theory called the Iceburg theory based on Hemingway's writing. It basically
states that readers infer a lot in the story. The tip of the iceburg is what
we get, and the rest lies underneath, for us to infer and discover. You can
Google this; it's quite interesting. I wrote a paper on this for grad school
and used a book by Ryan Minor, Praying Drunk, and compared it to Hemingway.
Hemingway is known for his short, clipped sentences combined with longer
sentences. He's very concise. He does not over-explain or over describe.
Much is left for the reader to infer.

Bridgit