[Stylist] DLD Publishing?

Miss Thea thearamsay at rogers.com
Sat Aug 4 19:42:51 UTC 2018

    I'm glad we're on the same page.
At heart, I'm a control freak, and if I could, I'd do it all myself. Smiles.
I find it beyond frustrating when I come up against something I can't do.
Sometimes, I still spend my dwindling energies cussing about this aspect of
my life, but I guess it keeps me humble.
I'm learning that cussing and banging my head against a brick wall doesn't
make the obstacles go away, and I guess it's high time I learned this. I'm
fifty-three years old, and have been blind from the womb.
Now, I'm also in a wheelchair, and have to deal with chronic pain.
My kids are in the States, where my late ex and I raised them. My daughter's
in Portland, and my son, last I heard, was in California.
That's the only family I have.
It's weird how things turn out differently than you think they will.
In my forties, I had a family, a husband and two kids, and was living in a
lovely house in Hawaii. A house which was all paid off.
Other than blindness, mental health, and a marriage that wasn't ideal, I
thought I had it made.
The kids would eventually grow up. Rob and I could get therapy. (I was in
therapy). And the house was a wonderful little bungalow on the island of
Maui.
Rob and I enjoyed each other sometimes, especially after supper when we
would routinely watch favorite movies.
Looking back, I was bloody complacent, and I thought young middle age had
given me the right to be.
What would make my home life complete? A guide dog. So I went to GDB in my
early forties, and four days before graduation, collapsed.
It was downhill from there. I came back to Maui without the dog. I started
having pain. My hands stopped being able to do daily tasks, and I could no
longer walk much.
The kids were in their teens, my marriage was in shambles, and an interloper
came in between. Not a love affair. A friend came in as a guest, and took
over.
He convinced my hubby that I was a manipulative mental case. Also, Rob's
health was failing as well.
So here I am now, back in Canada, paying rent again, and it's almost as if
Maui was a dream. If it weren't for the occasional messages from my
daughter, I'd swear the whole thing had been a dream.
I'm not even sure why I'm telling you guys all this.
Anyway, I can still write, and Toronto has paratransit, for which I do not
pay.
I have much to be thankful for, too. God's been good to me; no complaints
there.
It's just that living in that house, all paid for, on Maui, I thought, This
is it, my happy ending. This was also the time in my life when I thought I'd
gleaned enough experience from life to be a writer.
Wrong. The experience I needed wasn't necessarily the complacent,
comfortable place I was in. It was all the crap that came later.
Now, my ex is in Heaven, and my kids are starting their own lives.
And we're all broke. Isn't life weird?

Check back often.
http://www.dldbooks.com/thearamsay/