[Stylist] Opinion Piece Quite Informative by a Blind Author

Chris Kuell ckuell at comcast.net
Wed Sep 19 20:29:57 UTC 2018

David,

Thanks for sharing this op-ed piece. I believe the author hit the nail right on the head, despite her blindness!

I've written two novels and have failed to get an agent. With my first, I got 8 requests for more, but nobody took it. A former Redbook editor asked if I mentioned I was blind in my cover letter, I said no, and she implored me to do so. I did, sent out more queries, and got no responses.

Meanwhile, I wrote another novel, this one in the first person from a blind character's perspective. I ran it by my critique group, paid a professional editor to help me tighten it up, had several writer friends read and comment on it and when it was good to go, I sent it out. I got two nibbles, both asking to see more. After sending in the first 50 pages, one agent simply rejected it and the other said she was going to pass and suggested I make my character 'more vulnerable'. Stupid me, I wrote about a blind guy who lived by himself and had a job and had fun with his friends, got mad when he accidentally knocked things off the counter, and basically lived his life like any other person.

Still hoping to get published, my latest novel has a blind minor character, and I won't mention my blindness in my cover letters.

Chris