[Stylist] Periodic Table Poem

Barbara HAMMEL poetlori8 at msn.com
Tue Apr 2 17:54:28 UTC 2019

Ok!  I finished that crazy poem!  Well, it may not be totally done but at least it’s a draft.  I’ll attach it and post it in the body.  If you don’t like – or           can’t read – the attachment, each line is supposed to have fourteen syllables but there is no set meter.

Barbara Hammel

  PERIODIC TABLE POEM
    by Barbara Hammel

The Periodic Table looks so crazy at first glance,
But there's structure in that colorful, chaotic expanse.
Atomic number orders them from one to one-one-eight.
Before we delve in deeper, there are things we must get straight.

Each row is called a period, each column is a group,
Row properties vary, columns not so much, in this troupe.
The elements across each row have one to seven shells,
But only scientists need know where each electron dwells.
The columns tell us what elements have to gain or lose,
In the number of valence electrons, the ones they use
For bonding with each other 'cuz that's how they interact
To form everything in our universe and that's a fact.
As you go down the periods each shell gets broken down
Into more subshells these little electrons spin aroun'.
This is why, of s-, p-, d- and f-block you sometimes hear,
But it's way too complicated to get in for this sphere.
All we need know, row 1 and 2 are s- and in between
3 to 12 are d-, f- below, p- 13 to 18.

Hydrogen and Helium are atop the left and right
They sit alone, above the rest, because they are so light.
The lanthanides and actinides are rows that sit below
But as this poem rambles on you'll learn where they should go.

With one valence electron, alkalis are in group one,
They react to air and water with quite an explosion.
In this group are Hydrogen, Lithium, and Sodium,
Potassium, Rubidium, Cesium, Francium.
Group 2 is called the alkalines, they're calmer by a tad,
They have two valence electrons, so don't get quite as mad.
This group consists of Beryllium and Magnesium,
Calcium and Strontium, Barium and Radium.

Still with 2 valence electrons, in 3 to 12 we see
The transition metals which have good conductivity.
Group 3 has Scandium, Yttrium, and the Lanthanides
In period 6 and in 7 are the Actinides.
They sit below because more shells mean more subshells to dock
Electorns, making them f-block, but the rest are d-block.
If these two rows of fifteen had been added at this place
This Periodic Table would take up a LOT of space.
The Lanthanides are first with Lanthanum, and Cerium,
Followed by Praseodymium, Neodymium,
And Promethium, Samarium, and Europium,
Next to Gadolinium, Terbium, Dysprosium,
Holmium and Erbium, Thulium, Ytterbium,
The final one of our upper group is Lutetium.
Below are ,actinides with Actinium, Thorium,
Protactinium, Uranium, and Neptunium,
Plutonium's next to Americium, Curium,
Berkelium, and Californium, Einsteinium,
With ,fermium, Mendelevium and Nobelium,
Then the last of this lower group is Lawrencium.

Group 4 has Titanium, Zirconium, Hafnium,
And Rtherfordium. There's Group 5 with Vanadium,
Which is above Niobium, Tantalum, Dubnium,
Then Group 6 comes along with Chromium, Molybdenum,
Tungsten, and Seaborgium. 7 starts with Manganese,
Technetium, Rhenium, Bohrium. On to 8, please,
Iron's above Ruthenium, Osmium, Hassium,
Group 9 is next with Cobalt, Rhodium, Iridium,
Meitnerium. Then 10 with Nickel and Palladium
In the spaces above Platinum, and Darmstadtium.
11's got Copper, Silver, Gold and Roentgenium,
12 has Zinc, Cadmium, Mercury, Copernicium.

Before we meet the elements these tricky groups contain
Let's discuss what makes their family members somewhat the same.
The first group over here we call the Boron Family,
They're called the Icosagens, with valence electrons three.
Next are the crystallogens, or tetrels, because they have four
Valence electro ns ready to bond with any four more.
Group 15 are the Pnicogens, and five they have in play,
And 16 are the Chalcogens with 6 to go or stay.
At this end of the table divisions are not as neat,
For instance, the metalloids meander a stair-step street.
                `
13 has one with Boron, then down to Aluminum,
Gallium, Indium, Thallium, and Nihonium.
Group 14's head is Carbon, then two metalloids sneak in:
Silicon and Germanium, then below them is tin
And Lead and Flerovium. 15 leads with Nitrogen,
And Phosphorus, our two: Arsenic, Antimony, then
Bismuth, and Moscovium. 16 will complete our stair
But first Oxygen, Sulfur, and Selenium are there.
Our last two metalloids, Tellurium, Polonium,
And the final one of the group is Livermorium.

Halogens need one electron to make their shells complete
So 17, like Group 1, has a temper not so sweet.
This volatile group has Fluorine and Chlorine and Bromine,
And underneath are Iodine, Astatine, Tennessine.
Group 18, on the right, are the aerogens, or noble
Gases, with full outer shells which keeps them quite immobile.
This group includes Helium, Neon, Argon, and Krypton,
Xenon and Radon and last of all is Oganesson.