[Stylist] NPM_Focus on favorite poets _ Literary mentors

Barbara HAMMEL poetlori8 at msn.com
Mon Apr 15 14:03:26 UTC 2019

Hey, Lynda, I've contemplated this question before about who are my "mentors" in writing. I wonder how many writers are like me. I started writing poetry before I decided I should start READING poetry. I've since discovered that I love Edgar Guest, Percy Bysshe Shelley, Longfellow, Bryant, Holmes, Dickinson and the like. (Yeah, I stick to the rhymers.) I've tried reading the non-rhymers like Billy Collins and Walt Whitman but, even though I understand the words they write, they're speaking a foreign language.  Barbara Hammel