[Stylist] new poem

Barbara HAMMEL poetlori8 at msn.com
Mon Dec 23 20:01:24 UTC 2019

Chris, a villanelle is a nineteen lien poem. The first five stanzas have three lines. The trick is that the first and last lines of stanza one alternate as the last line of the next four stanzas. Then those two lines are used as the last two lines of the quatrain at the end. And, yes, there is a rhyme scheme. All these lines that repeat are rhymed with the first line of all the othe stanzas. The middle line of each stanza — or line two, if you will — has its own rhyme. So if I'm getting my lettering and numbering correct this poem would look like: a1ba2, aba1, aba2, aba1, aba2, aba1a2.

Barbara Hammel