[Stylist] Publication and Contest Opportunity

Marilyn Smith stylist at bluegrasspals.com
Mon Jan 28 20:05:04 UTC 2019

Hi,

As many of you know, I'm one of the editors at Behind Our Eyes. Mary-Jo
Lord, a Stylist member, is our primary editor, and sent the following
announcement to our subscribers earlier this month.

Marilyn

--------------------

Hello and happy New Year. I hope everyone has had a safe and happy
holiday season. Once again, it’s time to start thinking about your
submissions for the Spring/Summer edition of "Magnets and Ladders."
Please read our submission guidelines below. They can also be found on
our website at: http://www.magnetsandladders.org

The deadline for submissions is February 15. Be sure to read the
guidelines carefully, and read our contest information at the end of
this message. There will be a special contest to honor the memory of a
Behind Our Eyes member who passed away last spring, so be sure to take
advantage of this onetime opportunity.

Submission Guidelines

Writers with disabilities may submit up to three selections per issue.
Deadlines are February 15 for the Spring/Summer issue, and August 15 for
the Fall/winter issue. Writers must disclose their disability in their
biography or in their work. Biographies may be up to 100 words in
length, and should be written in third-person.

Do not submit until your piece is ready to be considered for
publication. Rewrites, additions, deletions, or corrections are part of
the editorial process, and will be suggested or initiated by the editor.

Poetry maximum length is 50 lines. Memoir, fiction, and nonfiction
maximum length is 2500 words. In all instances, our preference is for
shorter lengths than the maximum allowed. Please single-space all
submissions, and use a blank line to separate paragraphs and stanzas. It
is important to spell check and proofread all entries. Previously
published material and simultaneous submissions are permitted provided
you own the copyright to the work. Please cite previous publisher and/or
notify if work is accepted elsewhere.

We do not feature advocacy, activist, "how-to," or "what's new" articles
regarding disabilities. Innovative techniques for better writing as well
as publication success stories are welcome. Content will include many
genres, with limited attention to the disability theme. Announcements of
writing contests with deadlines beyond April 1 and October 1
respectively are welcome.

Have You Published a book? If you would like to have an excerpt of your
book published in an issue of Magnets and Ladders, please submit a
chapter or section of your book to submissions at magnetsandladders.org.
The word count for fiction and nonfiction book excerpt submissions
should not exceed twenty-five hundred words. Poetry book excerpts should
be limited to five poems. Please include information about where your
book is available in an accessible format. We will publish up to one
book excerpt per issue.

Authors under age 18: Please include a statement from a parent or
guardian that indicates awareness of your submission of literary work to
Magnets and Ladders.

Do you have a skill, service, or product valued by writers? For a
minimum contribution of $25.00 we will announce it in the next two
issues of "Magnets and Ladders". All verifications of products or
services provided are the responsibility of our readers. Book cover
design? Copyediting? Critiques? Formatting for publication? Internet
access or web design? Marketing assistance? Special equipment? Make your
donation through PayPal (see magnetsandladders.org) or by check by
March/September 1. 100-word promotional information is due by
February/August 15. Not sure about something? Email
submissions at magnetsandladders.org. All donations support Magnets and
Ladders.

Please email all submissions to submissions at magnetsandladders.org. Paste
your submission and bio into the body of your email or attach in
Microsoft Word format. If submitting Word documents, please put your
name and the name of your piece at or near the top of the document.
Submissions will be acknowledged within two weeks. You will be notified
if your piece is selected for publication.

Final author approval and review is necessary if changes are needed
beyond punctuation, grammar, and sentence or paragraph structure. We
will not change titles, beginnings, endings, dialog, poetic lines, the
writer's voice, or the general tone without writer collaboration. If
your work is selected for inclusion in a future "Behind Our Eyes"
project, you will be notified; your approval and final review will be
required. To insure we can contact you regarding future projects, please
keep us updated if your Email address changes.

We will be holding contests in the areas of fiction, nonfiction, and
poetry for the Spring/Summer edition of Magnets and Ladders. All
submissions will be entered into the contest. Cash prizes of $30 and $20
will be awarded to the first and second place winners. Remember, the
deadline for submissions is February 15, so be sure to get your entries
in on time.

Do you like to write about nature, wildlife, and the outdoors? A member
of Behind Our Eyes has donated funds to hold a contest in honor of Ernie
Jones, former member who passed away in June 2018. Ernie loved gardening
and his writings frequently centered around themes of nature. We will be
awarding one prize of $50 to an author of a story, memoir, essay, or
poem that features nature, wildlife, or the outdoors. Please send your
special contest piece to
  submissions at magnetsandladders.org and state that your entry is for the
"Nature, wildlife, and the Outdoors" contest.

Have a happy and safe new year.

Mary-Jo Lord