[Stylist] Writing and experiences

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 22:33:25 UTC 2019

Yeah, the whole write what you know is a bit misleading. A writing
instructor once told me that what you know is fluid and constantly changes.
It's about what you know in a given moment, and that can fluctuate. And what
you know doesn't necessarily have to mean you lived an experience
first-hand; we learn through research and are able to write about what we
learn from books and movies and conversations, etc. I don't think it's
necessary you attend a sporting event in order to write a character who
does. You can read about sports or interview athletes or sports fans and
have a good enough grasp on the subject to write about it. Emily Bronte was
a recluse. Like literally never left the house and lived very few first-hand
experiences. And yet she wrote one of the most famous love stories of all
time, Wuthering Heights. The novel is captivating, visceral and gripping.
Completely debunking the myth that one can only write about first-hand
experiences, grin.

Bridgit