[Stylist] basic tutorial on prepping docs for sighted readers

Sandra Streeter sandrastreeter381 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 13:10:38 UTC 2019

Hi,

Long-time subscriber, seldom contributor to conversations, but I do have a
question now. Has anyone devised a tutorial on fine-tuning documents so they
are acceptable to sighted readers? Yeah, I know that UEB was supposed to
address teaching kids about what sighted people do to ornament and otherwise
tweak text, but I am an older, native Braille reader with no desire to use
UEB, and just would like a verbal list, including instructions. When I read
items sent by sighted readers, I don't have JAWS describe every little
attribute, because I find it extremely distracting for my very-detailed
"Aspergian" brain, so trying to figure out what they do in their docs using
a screen reader's settings is not an option. I have several writing projects
in mind for the future, and just want to ensure that, in terms of emphasis
markings, graphics, etc., they will be meaningful to "light-dependent"
readers. Also, is there an accessible graphics list from which I could,
based on pic descriptions,  choose pictures to insert in docs easily?
Thanks! If this is not of general interest to more-experienced,
probably-previously-sighted folks, feel free to write me off-list, so that
we don't eat time discussing something most would have  no need for.

Sandra

Something is wrong, I know it, if I don't keep my attention on eternity. May
I be the tiniest nail in the house of the universe, tiny but useful.

(Mary Oliver)