[Stylist] Thumb Drives

Joanne Alongi Christcrush at outlook.com
Fri Jun 28 16:30:11 UTC 2019

HI Sandra,

My experience with a thumb drive is it it has a USB connector that you plug into one of the side slots on your desktop or laptop. A dialog pops up in Windows on my computer listing all the drives you can get docs to or from and so cursor down to the newest one let’s say E, I think it’s E on mine because D is the DVD drive and C is the drive on the computer. If there are no documents on the thumb drive open a Word document, create your document then tab back till you find the list of folders and open My Computer and choose that drive then save as usual. Tab till you find the name field, name your document, pick RTF or plain text from the text selections and then tab to save. If there are documents on your thumb drive you need to open the drive and you should get a list view then arrow through the list and press enter on the one you want. The process is the same as opening and retrieving documents from your desktop. The thumb drive or USB drive is shaped like your standard cigarette lighter turned sideways with the connector attached. It’s about the length of a thumb. I have two of them.

The other thing you could do is start a Dropbox account and install Dropbox on your computer. Then you could download documents to it and you could access them on the web from any computer anywhere. So if you had a computer crash you could just go to another computer and work on that document. The basic Dropbox account is free. You can email me if you have questions if you don’t want to communicate on the list. I’ll be happy to help as much as I can.

Shelley Alongi,
First Vice President, NFB Writers’ Division