[Stylist] blindness in the media

Sandra Streeter sandrastreeter381 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 29 02:11:12 UTC 2019

Hi, all:

In an effort to gradually clean out my inbox (down now to 1070 or so from
7000-something a couple months ago-yay), I discovered a conversation you had
been having about the portrayal of blindness, and how the writing world also
responds to blindness. Donna, of Applebutter Hill fame, if you're still on
this list-I am so grateful for one of your comments, particularly: that one
difference between the progress of blacks and that of the blind has to do
with the fact that blacks, while sorely abused, were valued in ways blind
folks still are not, in our society-that thinking of us as capable of
managing a home, raising kids, or whatever else, is still anathema-we are
relegated to positions of either making sighted folks grateful for what they
have (i.e., sight), or of giving them opps to do good. You voice a thought I
hadn't dare speak aloud, these days! I very much appreciate that I am not
the only one whose mind has taken this direction. I would be interested,
too, in thoughts from anyone who is blind and also black: do you see any
truth to this line of thinking?

Sandra

Something is wrong, I know it, if I don't keep my attention on eternity. May
I be the tiniest nail in the house of the universe, tiny but useful.

(Mary Oliver)