[Stylist] "Missed Connections" Prompt Response

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 21:51:14 UTC 2019

Vejas,

Good start.

First, you have a tendancy to begin your writing with dialogue. Can you
consider setting the scene first, or mood?  And it doesn't have to be
visually. Use strong verbs and nouns to place the reader in the coffee shop
or park or wherever we are. It doesn't have to be lengthy but something
descriptive that solidy places us in the location. Or at least use the
dialogue to give us location. Yes, this is a nonfiction prompt, but likely
something was said to indicate setting. And if not, create the atmosphere
through diction.

There's lots of internal dialogue here; not necessarily wrong, but I like
more scene, show us action. Even in nonfiction, you can create scene.

Also, this comes across very judgy. The narrator seems derisive and
condescending, which is fine, but can we get this voice and tone more from
action and dialogue? The imfamous show vs. tell.

Nonfiction can still rely on literary devices. A lot depends on style and
voice, but you can employ everything from descriptive language to scenic
development to imagery and everything in-between. I always encourage people
to play with form and structure and style with nonfiction and see where it
takes the narrative.

Good job with the prompt though.

Bridgit