[Stylist] Is there an accessible grammar checker

anniecms64 at gmail.com anniecms64 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 15:40:12 UTC 2021

Hi and welcome to the list.

What I state here may not be how others execute manuscript editing, but here is how I prep mine:

I use Microsoft word to write it.  I use the spell/grammar check often but do not rely on it for proof reading or fact checking, line editing, only the first step in many. I must also note I do not bother with indenting and skip lines to indicate dialogue, along with quotation marks. The final formatting comes much later. I try to catch the misspellings, the sentence  structure errors, the double spacing and possible punctuation errors after writing a few chapters or short piece.  I use the JAWS text analyzer and the other review options like word count, etc.

Since I listen to the words, I find generally, the pieces tend to flow better and when I read it back I find the tongue twisters and phrases and incongruencies  .

I’ve also gotten better at using the commenting feature with a shared document but I feel it is a bit of a time waster when using JAWS, it’s like being an octopus, remembering all the key combinations, ugh.

I haven’t tried a template since writing college papers using an MLA and/or APA style guide.

I employ a manuscript prep service when my books are ready. I use DLD books for my self-publishing needs. I have been told by DLD that my manuscripts aren’t in horrible shape when they get them, so I am doing something right, I guess, 😊

If I were a braille reader I’d probably catch more discrepancies but I would still want a pro  to review and correct my work.

HTH

Annie C.

Ann Chiappetta, Author

Anniecms64 at gmail.com

` Making meaningful connections with others through writing `

914.393.6605

 <http://www.annchiappetta.c/> www.annchiappetta.com Facebook Annie Chiappetta

“We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.”

*	 Joseph Campbell