[Stylist] (no subject)

ckuell at comcast.net ckuell at comcast.net
Thu Oct 7 19:48:15 UTC 2021

Hi Stacie,

Several years ago (sorry, but with covid I’ve pretty much lost all  track of time) a couple of people in Israel started a web service for blind people who wanted to read comic books. I can’t remember the name, but they had a few fully described comic books, and were looking for writers to contribute new comics written specifically for blind people. Their idea was to build a following and get people to subscribe. I tried it out initially to see what it was like, and to consider whether I might want to write for them. However, I found the comics unfulfilling. Basically, each panel in the comic came with a short description of what was happening followed by any dialogue.

Since I was formerly sighted, I do have an appreciation for comics and graphic novels. But as a blind person, they don’t really work for me. I’d much rather read a novel, which is a medium meant to draw pictures in your mind and evoke emotion, etcetera.

So my personal data point would lean toward don’t bother. However, I tip my hat and commend anyone who is interested in increasing accessibility.

Chris