[Stylist] Having your story take place in the very near future

Shawn Jacobson sdj60259 at aol.com
Tue Oct 12 17:36:09 UTC 2021

Vejas
I would say that if you are writing with the purpose of seeing how a present-day person matures, than the emphasis is on the person, not the future.  Here, extrapolation is a good start, look for trends to see what happens if the trend continues.
Then look for tipping points, for instance, you might get enough immegrants from India for cricket leagues to become a thing.  You might get cheep enough wind turbines for wind to be a greater source of energy (and more of the great plains would become devoted to wind farms.  These changes would not be the center of the story, but would be grace notes that make your future richer and more distinct.
Also, any significat change would cause subsidiary change in its wake; so look at what the proposed chagnge does to the rest of society and the wider world.
Good luck and good writing.

Shawn Jacobson
sdj60259 at aol.com