[Stylist] a poem

Ann Chiappetta anniecms64 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 22:32:11 UTC 2022

Hi there-

I like your question about the importance of form elements like meter, rhyme, and  the actual positioning of lines, words, etc.

Form is a priority when writing verse forms like sonnets, haiku, etc.  A poorly structured sonnet is a nightmare to read.

I write  free verse because it allows the flow of ideas and agility of the words and other elements to work together. There are also complimentary elements  to include but  the guidelines and rules are not as rigid as traditional forms.

Studying how other poets write is important, too. I read poetry everyday and participate in a poetry group where we share poems from other poets and then study them and  from this we each write a new poem. This kind of generative approach works very well once you find a core group who works well together.

Rhyming, the use of imagery, alliteration, repetition, meter and pacing and line structure are what helps me the most other than the actual subject matter and eliminating  words that do not feel essential to the poem.

What makes a good poem for me as a reader is  wanting to go back and read it again and afterwards, thinking about the poem. It sticks with me and holds a place marker in my brain.

Same could e said with a song and the lyrics.

Best,

Annie

Ann M. Chiappetta, M.S.

Making Meaningful ConnectionsThrough Media

914.393.6605 USA

 <mailto:Anniecms64 at gmail.com> Anniecms64 at gmail.com

All things Annie:  <http://www.annchiappetta.com> www.annchiappetta.com