[Stylist] Book Review

Ann Chiappetta anniecms64 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 17:47:20 UTC 2022

Book Review

By Ann Chiappetta

Whispers

Extraordinary Book 1

© 2022   by Feather Chelle

Reading time 2:14 pages: 112

$2.99   Kindle <https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B6YBJZC6/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_98B23DZKYZ0FKFBXT5J8>

$5.00 Paperback <https://www.amazon.com/Whispers-Extraordinary-Book-Feather-Chelle/dp/B0B5PZFTF2/ref=sr_1_1?crid=7N31VWO8KQWR&keywords=Whispers+by+Feather+Chelle&qid=1662574040&s=books&sprefix=whispers+by+feather+chelle%2Cstripbooks%2C85&sr=1-1>  ISBN 979-8839803749

$20.00  hardcover  ISBN  978-1088049143.

Genre: Children’s literature/YA/disability and blindness

www.dldbooks.com/featherchelle/ <http://www.dldbooks.com/featherchelle/>

>From the book jacket:

To begin her series about extraordinary preteens overcoming a variety of challenges, the author shares what it was like coming of age as a totally blind student in West Texas.

An immersive experience with a fresh voice of intellect and sensitivity. Reading Whispers: Extraordinary Book 1 <http://www.dldbooks.com/featherchelle/>  by Feather Chelle was like striding along on an adventure with the author.  Her writing is crisp and active and I will be a fan of Feather’s insightful sensitivity and brevity from this point forward.

The author prefaces that this story is a fictionalized account based on her experiences. This reader found the girl, Amber (later, Cheyenne) likeable and intelligent. We follow the main character, Amber at age twelve when she transitions from elementary school to middle school.  We get to know her through her lens, her perceptions.

I met Feather through our affiliation in a writing group.  She writes for young adults and children with a natural and expressive voice.   Her ability to connect with the reader is a gift and this story proves it. Feather Chelle has what it takes to make a difference in the literary lives of children, educators and families.

What is special about this book:   while it is targeted for children and young adults, it speaks with a broad brush, expanding narrow views and educates the reader about the adjustment of developmental milestones and disability.  The story draws us in, urges the reader to ally with Amber, care about and cheer for her when she stands up for herself or empathize with her when she is shut out by others because she is blind.

Her talent for writing strong and well-crafted characters is one more reason why she is an effective storyteller. This book is easily read, easily understood, and brings a sensible and sensitive narrative to the meaning of disability within a layered social context of being a young person trying to thrive in a society of the uninformed.  This story is powerful because it did not veer into   the opinions and assumptions not felt by the character, staying true to the first-person point-of-view.

Some of the things I was drawn to are the relationships in Amber’s life.  Her grandmother is her best ally and the friends she makes and keeps are true. She mentions the mean girls, which is heart-wrenching to read. Kids can be cruel to anyone who is different; Amber takes the brunt of being humiliated it but she also rises above.    She describes the lack of inclusion with the example of a band teacher who would not allow Amber to be part of the school band, among others.

Curious about the tense relationship with her Mother, I wanted to know more and wondered about the circumstances pushing her family apart. This is vague but does not detract from the powerful message of the story.  Additionally, at the time the book takes place, in the 1990s, disability bias was still a harsh reality.

The importance and relevance of this book and Feather Chelle’s future books planned in the Extraordinary series of teens with disabilities will bring awareness and inclusion where it has been lacking. Feather Chelle and the powerful characters she creates will help shed light upon the true meaning of ability and provide the reader with a deeper context of what it means to live with a disability.

Rating (5) 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Ann M. Chiappetta, M.S.

Making Meaningful ConnectionsThrough Media

914.393.6605 USA

Anniecms64 at gmail.com <mailto:Anniecms64 at gmail.com>

All things Annie: www.annchiappetta.com <http://www.annchiappetta.com>