[Stylist] poems feedback welcome

Ann Chiappetta anniecms64 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 22:03:43 UTC 2023

Hello all-

I wanted to share this poem and the poem that inspired it.  Thanks for
reading and comments welcome anniecms64 at gmail.com
<mailto:anniecms64 at gmail.com>  .

By Ann Chiappetta

To those who ask, How do I know I am alive?

It is  A crescendo of rushing white water filling

A quiet pool

It is the stream of blood red vino

streaming from a wineskin into a thirsty mouth.

It is awakening  in the dunes,

entwined   with another in long-expired desire

I did not know me; I did not care to

I wondered instead

One day, the crafting cracked open the knowing

spilling The yolk

murky globules of egg white absorbed into the earth

sampled and digested

decided what I tasted was me.

Wail

Johnson Cheu

for the young who ask, "How did you learn to like yourself?"

There are glaciers, imposing, yet shrinking.

There is the iris, violet sky cradling shards of sun.

The white Bengal tiger, snow and black ink.

Infinite reasons I could give for gladness,

though none may salve the wound from which

your question arises, how to be glad to be alive?

Stitch your heart's fissure: recall family, friends,

a slap, cigarette burn, the rod, something smashed

down, or welled up in your darkened pupil.

Turn outward: two A.M. streets, the creeps in cars,

the chaos of human folly delivered by calm,

coiffed news anchors. The wound is within you

and not. The answer within you and not.

Want, comfort, desire, love ought not be wounds.

We pine for them from our first wail,

what you must give and take, till no voice is left.

Johnson Cheu is a poet and assistant professor in the department of writing,
rhetoric, and American cultures at Michigan State University.

Ann Chiappetta M.S.

 <http://www.annchiappetta.com/> http://www.annchiappetta.com

Making Meaningful Connections Through Media

 <mailto:Ann.m.chiappetta at gmail.com> Ann.m.chiappetta at gmail.com

Blog:  <http://www.thought-wheel.com/> www.thought-wheel.com

914.393.6605

"Trust dreams. Trust your heart, and trust your story."

- Neil Gaiman