[Stylist] Time to Submit

mjfingerprints at comcast.net mjfingerprints at comcast.net
Sun Jul 16 19:04:39 UTC 2023

Hello:

It's time to get your work ready to submit for the Fall/Winter edition of
Magnets and Ladders. Be sure to read about our finish the story opportunity
following

the submission guidelines.

Beginning with the Fall/Winter 2022-2023 edition of Magnets and Ladders we
have invited a guest judge to work with us for two editions in a specific
genre.

The guest will judge the submissions selected as finalists for the contest
in one genre.

We are honored to announce that our second guest judge is Nolan Crabb. Nolan
will judge the nonfiction finalists for the Fall/Winter 2023/2024 and the

Spring/Summer 2024  editions of Magnets and Ladders. Read about Nolan and
his extensive experience and background below.

Nolan Crabb is a native of Ogden, Utah, where he attended the Utah School
for the Blind and graduated from Weber High School. Nolan holds a bachelor's

degree in communications from Brigham Young University. He also holds a
certification as an assistive technology trainer from the Accessible
Technology

Institute in Tucson, Arizona.

Nolan spent much of his working life as a writer and editor.  He was a
general assignment reporter for the Ogden Standard-Examiner, and he worked
briefly

for what is now the Deseret Morning News in Salt Lake City.  He has held
editing jobs in northern California and Chicago and was, for nine years, the
editor

of The Braille Forum, published by the American Council of the Blind in
Washington, D.C.  He also worked as the assistant editor of Dialogue
Magazine,

published by Blindskills, Inc. of Salem, Oregon.

Nolan was first introduced to computers in the winter of 1977 and has been
working with them steadily since.  In the late 1980s, when he was serving as

the director of an independent living center, he began providing computer
training to many of the center's consumers.  In 1999, when the opportunity
became

available to provide computer instruction to the staff at Rehabilitation
Services for the Blind in Missouri, he was eager to once again enjoy the
benefits

that come with offering computer training to others.

In June, 2007, Nolan was hired at The Ohio State University as its Director
of Assistive Technology-a position in which he provides training and
software

to disabled staff members and university faculty.

Nolan has been a member of the Missouri Assistive Technology Advisory
Council.  He served as a member of the advisory council for Oregon's Talking
Book

and Braille Services, and he has been a member of the Oregon State Library
Board of Trustees.  He represented the American Council of the Blind as a
member

of the National Association of Radio Reading Services board of directors. In
2023, he signed on as a co-host of Legend Book Talk, a weekly podcast
dedicated

to reviewing and recommending books to podcast listeners.

Nolan describes himself as a voracious reader.  In his spare time, he
continues to do some freelance writing and dabbles in the field of audio
book narration

and digital audio production.  In early 2008, he created an Internet mailing
list dedicated to the writing and distribution of book reviews focusing on

books from the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically
Handicapped.  Known as DB-Review, The list specifically focuses on digital
talking

books, and its members are encouraged to share reviews and comments
regarding books they have read.  From an initial membership of some 50
people, the

list has grown to include more than 300 members, most of whom post their
reviews and thoughts on books.

He and his wife, the former Valerie Hekking of Benyon, Utah, are the parents
of four daughters and the grandparents of ten grandchildren.

Please read our submission guidelines below. They can also be found on our
website at:

http://www.magnetsandladders.org.

The deadline for submissions is August 15. Be sure to read the guidelines
carefully.

Submission Guidelines

Writers with disabilities may submit up to three selections per issue.
Deadlines are February 15 for the Spring/Summer issue, and August 15 for the
Fall/winter

issue. Writers must disclose their disability in their biography or in their
work. Biographies may be up to 100 words in length, and should be written

in third-person.

Do not submit until your piece is ready to be considered for publication.
Rewrites, additions, deletions, or corrections are part of the editorial
process,

and will be suggested or initiated by the editor.

Poetry maximum length is 50 lines. Memoir, fiction, and nonfiction maximum
length is 2500 words. In all instances, our preference is for shorter
lengths

than the maximum allowed. Please single-space all submissions, and use a
blank line to separate paragraphs and stanzas. It is important to spell
check

and proofread all entries. Previously published material and simultaneous
submissions are permitted provided you own the copyright to the work. Please

cite previous publisher and/or notify if work is accepted elsewhere.

We do not feature advocacy, activist, "how-to," or "what's new" articles
regarding disabilities. Innovative techniques for better writing as well as
publication

success stories are welcome. Content will include many genres, with limited
attention to the disability theme. Announcements of writing contests with
deadlines

beyond April 1 and October 1 respectively are welcome.

All work submitted must be original. We do not accept work written by an AI
or any form of plagiarism.

Have You Published a book? If you would like to have an excerpt of your book
published in an issue of Magnets and Ladders, please submit a chapter or
section

of your book to

submissions at magnetsandladders.org <mailto:submissions at magnetsandladders.org>
.

The word count for fiction and nonfiction book excerpt submissions should
not exceed twenty-five hundred words. Poetry book excerpts should be limited

to five poems. Please include information about where your book is available
in an accessible format. We will publish up to one book excerpt per issue.

Authors under age 18: Please include a statement from a parent or guardian
that indicates awareness of your submission of literary work to Magnets and

Ladders.

Do you have a skill, service, or product valued by writers? For a minimum
contribution of $25.00 we will announce it in the next two issues of Magnets

and Ladders. All verifications of products or services provided are the
responsibility of our readers. Book cover design? Copyediting? Critiques?
Formatting

for publication? Internet access or web design? Marketing assistance?
Special equipment? Make your donation through PayPal (see
magnetsandladders.org)

or by check by March/September 1. 100-word promotional information is due by
February/August 15. Not sure about something? Email

submissions at magnetsandladders.org <mailto:submissions at magnetsandladders.org>
.

All donations support Magnets and Ladders.

Please email all submissions to

submissions at magnetsandladders.org <mailto:submissions at magnetsandladders.org>
.

Paste your submission and bio into the body of your email or attach in
Microsoft Word format. If submitting Word documents, please put your name
and the

name of your piece at or near the top of the document. Submissions will be
acknowledged within two weeks. You will be notified if your piece is
selected

for publication.

Final author approval and review is necessary if changes are needed beyond
punctuation, grammar, and sentence or paragraph structure. We will not
change

titles, beginnings, endings, dialog, poetic lines, the writer's voice, or
the general tone without writer collaboration. If your work is selected for
inclusion

in a future "Behind Our Eyes" project, you will be notified; your approval
and final review will be required. To insure we can contact you regarding
future

projects, please keep us updated if your Email address changes.

We will be holding contests in the areas of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry
for the Fall/Winter edition of Magnets and Ladders. All submissions will be

entered into the contest. Cash prizes of $30 and $20 will be awarded to the
first and second place winners.

Please note: Funds for contest prizes are provided by Behind Our Eyes.
Checks for prize winning entries not cashed within 6 months of the issue
date are

void and considered a donation back to Behind Our Eyes. No additional
payments will be made to replace the uncashed check. If you intend your
prize winnings

to be a donation, please let us know upon winning so we can send you a
donation receipt letter.

Remember, the deadline for submissions is August 15, so be sure to get your
entries in on time.

When you read a story, do you ever wish that you could write the ending? If
so, you have your chance. In the Spring/Summer edition Cheryl McNeil Fisher
wrote a heartbreaking story starter, "hearo." The story is off to a great
start but what happens next? You have the opportunity to decide. Write your
ending

to "Hero" and submit it for the Fall/Winter edition of Magnets and Ladders.
We will publish Cheryl's beginning and the top two endings in the writers'

climb. To read "Hero" go to:

MAGNETS AND LADDERS / Active Voices of Writers with Disabilities

Have a safe and happy summer.

Mary-Jo Lord

mjfingerprints at comcast.net <mailto:mjfingerprints at comcast.net>