[Tabs] 10 Best Tips for Professors

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 04:16:37 UTC 2008

Hello all,

Thank you for the excellent feedback of this past week regarding the best
tips for up and coming high school students.  I'll be compiling all your
e-mails into a document for the NABS board's approval.  The document will
then be made available with the launch of the web site.

You guys had a number of excellent thoughts.  I'm trusting your guidance
will continue this week as we turn to professors.  If a document could be
drafted to be made available to teachers and professors, how would it read?
What would the top ten pieces of advice be for faculty members regarding
blind students?  Ultimately, we'd all like to be treated equally, but break
it down for those individuals who may be completely afraid to deal with
something they may never have conceived of before.

My advice, to get things started:  Do not single out the blind kid in class.
No one likes to have the spotlight shined on them for being exceptionally
smart or exceptionally, special.  No one wants to hear about Charlie and how
Charlie is blind and how Charlie will need buddies to get some of the work
done.  Can you tell I have firsthand knowledge?

Anyway, no doubt you'll have better ideas.  Send them in, on list or
off-list.  You're helping create what will be useful, downloadable tip
sheets of use to a diverse audience.  We're counting on you!

Best,

Joe Orozco

"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity."--James M.
Barrie