[Tabs] National Association of Blind Students August Bulletin!

Arielle Silverman nabs.president at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 20:50:20 UTC 2009

National Association of Blind Students
>From the Desk of the President
Thursday August 6, 2009

In This Bulletin:
1.  Check out the NABS Website!
2. New NABS Board of Directors
3.  Report on 2009 NFB Youth Slam
4.  News from Across the Country:
	Southeast Regional Seminar, Aug.  14-16
	Montana Student Campout: Aug.  21-23
	BookShare Contest

If you have any questions or suggestions for NABS, or if you no longer
wish to receive these monthly newsletters, please contact:
Arielle Silverman, President
National Association of Blind Students
Phone: 602-502-2255
Email:
president at nabslink.org

1. Check out the NABS Website!

Are you looking for college scholarships? Have questions about the
college application process? Want to explore your options for
blindness training? Want to chat with other blind students in your
state or across the nation?

You’ll find all these things and more on our Website! Just go to
www.nabslink.org
your one-stop shop for information and resources that will help you at
every stage of your academic journey.

2.  New NABS Board of Directors:
On Saturday, July 4, at the NFB national convention in Detroit, the
National Association of Blind Students elected a new board of
directors.  Each member of the board is responsible for co-chairing
one of our NABS committees and also serves as NABS rep for one region
of the country.  Here is a list of all the NABS board members along
with the committees they chair and the region that they represent.
Feel free to contact any of these board members if you want to serve
on one of the NABS committees or if you'd like some advice about
student division building in your state.

President: Arielle Silvouman
Email: president at nabslink.org
First Vice-President: Karen Anderson
Committee: Student Slate
Region: Eastern Seaboard; Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts,
Vermont,  Rhode Island, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, New York, New
Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington, D.C.
Email:
Kea_anderson at cox.net
Second Vice-President: Sean Whalen
Committee: Student Slate
Region: Great Lakes; Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois
Email:
smwhalenpsp at gmail.com

Secretary: Janice Jeang
Committee: Membership
Region: Southeast; Georgia, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina,
Tennessee, Puerto Rico
Email:
Janice.jeang at gmail.com

Treasurer: Nijat Worley
Committee: Fundraising
Region: Mountain;  Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, Colorado
Email:
Nijat1989 at gmail.com

Board Member: Isaiah Wilcox
Committee: Fundraising
Region: Southern; Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas
Email:
Iwilcox2011 at gmail.com

Board Member: Meghan Whalen
Committee: Website
Region: Heartland; Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Minnesota, Nebraska
Email:
mewhalen at wisc.edu

Board Member: Domonique Lawless
Committee: Student Slate
Region: Northwest; Alaska, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, Wyoming
Email:
Dlawless86 at gmail.com

Board Member: Darian Smith
Committee: Membership
Region: Southwest; Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico
Email:
dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Website Co-Chair: Juan del Rosario
Email:
Blindrocker87 at gmail.com

Listserv Chair: Jedi Moerke
Email:
blindjedi at clearwire.net

3.  Report on 2009 NFB Youth Slam:
I have just returned from the NFB's second Youth Slam, which was held
at the University of Maryland July 26-31.  Nearly two hundred blind
high school students gathered to participate in challenging science,
technology, engineering and math (STEM) activities under the guidance
and supervision of blind adult role models.  The studenss were divided
into eleven "tracks" that each specialized in a particular topic such
as astronomy, computer science, forensics, engineering and exercise
science.  One group even got to drive a prototype of a car for blind
drivers that's being developed by researchers at Virginia Tech
University.  You can browse real-time podcasts and blogs from the
Youth Slam and find out more about what each track did by going to
www.nfbyouthslam.org
For me as a Slam mentor, a real highlight of the program came on the
last day, when we embarked on a two-mile march through Washington,
D.C.  from the Lincoln Memorial to the U.S.  Capitol building.  At the
beginning of the march, rain was pouring down on us, and we were all
exhausted from a long and active week.  As we marched, we repeated a
series of spirited chants and cheers, including the mantra, "When
someone tells us we can't do math and science because we are blind, we
say, Slam That!" Despite our fatigue, aching feet and the pouring
rain, we all shouted, "Slam That!" with energy and conviction.  To me
this represents the resilience of our members, and our collective
defiance of the basic misconceptions about blindness that have all too
often prevented us from reaching our potential.  It is this defiance
along with our creativity and imagination that, I believe,
distinguishes the NFB and its student division from other
organizations of and for the blind.  I look forward to seeing the work
that our Youth Slammers will do to make full access to math and
science careers a reality for themselves and for those who come after
them.

4. News from Across the Country:
Southeast Regional Seminar, August 14-16:
"U Improving U" Student Seminar

Brought to you by the National Association of Blind Students, Southern
Region.

Hosted by the Georgia Association of Blind Students.

Where: The Ramada Plaza, 100 1st street, Downtown Macon, Georgia

When: August 14 to August 16, 2009

Who: All blind students from Alabama, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina,
South Carolina, and Tennessee are encouraged to attend.

What: There will be exciting topics such as:

o   Technology
o   Preparing for College
o   Fashion
o   Developing a Student Division
o   Career Development
o   NFB Philosophy
o   And Much Much More!!!

To reserve your hotel room, call the Ramada Plaza  at: (478) 746-1461

The registration fee is $20 for the seminar and $20 for the banquet.
Pre-Register now before the deadline August 1st to receive a $10 discount.
Go to
www.nfbga.org/GABS/
 to register.

Come join us in an eventfull weekend that will inspire you to improve
yourself personally.  You will have opportunities to meet new people, be
exposed to valuable information, and to have fun!

For more information contact Isaiah Wilcox by phone (404) 291-7791 or by
e-mail,
iwilcox at nfbga.org

Isaiah Wilcox
President of the Georgia Association of Blind Students
Phone: 404-291-7791
E-mail:
iwilcox2011 at gmail.com

Montana Association of Blind Students Campout, August 21-23:
The Montana Association of Blind Students is Hosting a Student Campout
 From August 21st – August 23rd, the Montana Association of Blind
Students (MABS) will be hosting a Student Division campout. The
campout will take place at a campground 12 miles south of Bozeman,
Montana. The campout is free to Montana students; MABS is covering the
cost of transportation, food, camping fees, and camping gear (if
necessary). Students will be getting to the campground via Greyhound
bus and by hired/volunteer drivers (thanks to Donna McCulloch, the
Bozeman Chapter President, and her husband for volunteering to drive
us around Bozeman).
 At the moment, there are seven people coming, including Dan Burke,
the Montana state affiliate President. The purpose of the campout is
to serve as both an informal gathering, as well as an organizational
meeting in preparation for seeking formal recognition of MABS at the
Montana state convention in October. If you are interested in
attending the campout, or if you have any questions, please contact
Jim Reed at (406) 371- 5047.

Bookshare Contest for K-12 Students:
Have you ever been really moved by a book? Has a character ever fascinated
you? Bookshare wants to know, and so do other Bookshare readers!

Through September 15, U.S. Bookshare Members in grades K-12 can participate
in the Reader's Voice Contest and win some great prizes! Participants must
download a new book in the months of August and September and write an
online review of at least 100 words.

To learn more about this exciting contest, visit this link
http://bookshare.org/brochure/community/contest/readersVoice

Best,

Allison Hilliker
Collection Development Associate
WWW.Bookshare.Org
E-mail
allisonh at benetech.org

--
Arielle Silverman
President, National Association of Blind Students
nabs.president at gmail.com
Website:
www.nabslink.org