[Tabs] NABS November Bulletin

Arielle Silverman nabs.president at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 02:56:15 UTC 2009

National Association of Blind Students
>From the Desk of the President
November 4, 2009

In This Bulletin:
1.  Washington Seminar Update
2.  2010 NFB Scholarship Application Now Available!
3.  State Division Announcements:
Updates from New Mexico, Pennsylvania, Montana Delaware and Virginia.

1.  Washington Seminar Update:
On Sunday, January 31, 2010, the National Association of Blind
Students will hold its annual all-day seminar in Washington, D.C.
just before the opening of the NFB's annual Washington Seminar.  The
NABS seminar will take place from 10:00 a.m.  to 5:00 p.m.  at the
Holiday Inn Capitol hotel in Washington, D.C.  On Sunday evening we
will conclude our gathering with an informal dinner, mixer and an
auction.
At our NABS board of directors meeting in late November, we will begin
planning the agenda for our seminar.  Generally, the seminar consists
of both speeches and breakout sessions concerning a variety of issues
relevant to blind students.  If there are particular topics that you'd
like to see on the agenda this year, or things we've done in the past
that you liked or didn't like, please let me know before the end of
the month.  Also, if you or someone you know has had an opportunity
this year that you think other blind students might want to know
about, like a job or a trip abroad, tell me that as well!

2010 Scholarship Applications Now Available:
Each year the National Federation of the Blind awards thirty
scholarships to legally blind college and graduate students across the
country.  The scholarship includes a cash award ranging from $3000 to
$12000, plus a free trip to the NFB national convention and often a
piece of assistive technology such as a KNFB Reader Mobile.  The
scholarship application for 2010 is now on the Web at

www.nfb.org/scholarships
Applications are due by March 31, 2010.
Already won a national NFB scholarship? You can apply again and
potentially win a second scholarship, also known as a TenBroek
fellowship.
In addition, many NFB affiliates offer scholarships to blind students.
 You needn't be an active member of the NFB to win.  Contact your NFB
state president for details.  You can find a list of state affiliates
and their contact information at
http://www.nfb.org/nfb/State_and_Local_Organizations.asp
Finally, there are lots of other scholarship resources available to
blind and sighted students alike that are worth examining.  Check out
the "Scholars Hall" section of our website for details.

State Division Announcements:
>From the New Mexico Association of Blind Students:
I am excited to report that the New Mexico Association of Blind
Students had a successful Meet the Blind Month in October! Here are
the events which took place.
1. Disability Awareness day: We had 4 students help out and pass out
NFB Liturature and we also conduced a challenge in wich sighted
peers/staff/faculty from the University are blindfolded and we show
them how to use the cane and sighted guide. That day was a sucess with
at least 30-40 people getting to experience blindness and also getting
some information our organization. The Disability Awareness Day was
held on October 2nd.
2. Benefit nights at restaurants: Our division did a few fundraisers
which are benefit nights in wich we aska  restaurant to donate a
portion of sales to our organization. We passed out flyers to a total
of 5 restaurants and therefore had 5 benefit nights. i do not have
totals yet of how much we raised, but maybe I can let you all know
next month. The benefit nights were held on Oct. 21, Oct. 24, 27, 29,
and 30. We had 3 of them in Roswell NM and 2 in Albuquerque NM.
3. Albuquerque Coin Club: A few of our students participated in
selling the Louis Braille coins at a local coin club show in
Albuquerque on October 10 and 11. As far as I can tell this was a
success.
4. We are also doing some comunity service right now which includes a
clothing drive witha local elementary school.
I hope to have more updates next month.
Thank you,
Tara Sena
New Mexico Association of Blind Students, President

>From Pennsylvania:
The Pennsylvania Association of Blind Students (PABS) will be hosting
a student seminar, in conjunction with the National Federation of the
Blind of Pennsylvania's state convention, on November 13 at the Best
Western Inn and Suites in Harrisburg, PA.

Sincerely,

Alyssa Bates

President (as of November 13)

Pennsylvania Association of Blind Students

>From Montana:
We have been on the move in Montana! First, in October, the Montana
Student Division was officially recognized at the Montana State
convention by the MAB Board, then, a week later we were recognized by
NABS.

At our state convention, MABS held a Louis Braille coin sale
fundraiser. Demand for these coins was incredible! In two days, we
sold 32 coins to a convention with roughly 60 attendees. We also
donated one coin to the MAB to use as a door prize, and we auctioned
off three coins during a live auction. The coin sale gave the Student
Division lots of good publicity, and selling coins gave our students a
great opportunity to meet and greet some of the other members of the
MAB. At this time, we have raised $380 for the NFB's national Braille
literacy campaign.

Next, we have put together a planning committee to begin planning a
college visit program. Ideally, if a blind high schooler wants to
visit a college campus in Montana, we can pair that student with a
blind college student (or recent alumni). We hope to have this program
up and running by summer, 2010.

Last, the Student Division has been asked to help plan and staff Camp
Eureka. Camp Eureka is an NFB sponsored natural science camp. This
year we will be taking 12 blind youth to Freezeout Lake, MT., to watch
the annual Snow geese migration. The youth will get to experience and
scientifically study thousands and thousands of snow geese as they
stop off at Freezeout Lake during their migration. It is worthwhile
noting that Camp Eureka has recruited a wildlife biologist from The
University of Montana, as well as a Snow goose expert who works with
Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks. This project is a great opportunity
for the Student Division. First, it will demonstrate to the MAB that
the Student Division is responsible, and that we can contribute in a
positive way. Additionally, this trip can serve as a recruitment tool
by introducing the next generation of blind students to the MAB and
the Student Division.

Jim Reed
President, Montana Association of Blind Students
*Jim has also sent us a flier about the snowgoose workshop. If you are
interested in seeing it, contact him at
Jim275_2 at yahoo.com

>From Delaware:
Hello NABS Member!

Delaware had their first Student/Career convention this past month. I
feel it turn out pretty well even thou there were ten in our group.
We outreached to all Special Ed. Teachers and Counselors for them to
send their students that were blind or visually impaired (in middle
school threw graduate school) in our state. This was our state’s
BIGGEST convention 40 people in all. Next year I would like see it to
double or triple if we could.  If any of you have ideas how we can
help make our group grow and our convention be bigger your comments
would be greatly appreciated.

We have one month and a half before Entrainment Books are gone till
next year PLEASE help us reach our goal of 161 books. You can get them
through our website, our Entertainment website, or contact Kathryn
Bottner or myself off line. Thank you for all your help and suggestion
in advanced.

Website: www.alanfox. Net/nabsdelaware

Entertainment Book Website:
http://www.fundraising.entertainment.com/esale2.cfm?CI=953897&SI=678037&LI=1

Sincerely Yours,

Catherine Newman

NABS Delaware Division President

>From Virginia:
The Virginia Student Division has had an active last few weeks!

On the weekend of Oct. 23-25, 21 blind high school students from
around Virginia, 2 student mentors, and 9 adult mentors high school
took over the National Center for the Blind in Baltimore for the
weekend! In a follow-up to our similar event two years ago, students
participated in a range of challenge activities—like climbing a ladder
to change a light bulb, operating a chainsaw to cut a log, breaking
boards with their bare hands, and learning the self-defense art of
judo, to name just a few—to build confidence and learn that the only
limits on our potential as blind people are those limits that we place
upon ourselves. With the proper training and opportunity, all of these
activities are easy for anybody, regardless of athletic ability. The
students also heard from the mentors about how they can succeed and
more efficiently use technology.
 Coming up at the NFB of Virginia state convention in Williamsburg,
the students will have an opportunity to learn what Federationists in
Virginia have done to better the lives of the blind over the past
year. The student luncheon on Saturday will emphasize the efficiency
of Braille, the opportunities available at NFB training centers around
the country, and how to better advocate for your needs with your state
rehabilitation counselor. We invite any students or Federationists
interested in attending to contact Student Division President Corbb
O'Connor at
corbbo at gmail.com
. Financial trouble should not be a reason that students do not
attend; we will work to find resources with interested students to
make their trip possible!

Corbb O’Connor, President
Virginia Association of Blind Students

--
Arielle Silverman
President, National Association of Blind Students
nabs.president at gmail.com
Website:
www.nabslink.org